Cant open petrol cap

It’s incredible that an almost $50k car has such a terrible refuelling system
I wonder if there is anything we can put on the cap rubber seal to stop it binding like that, perhaps vaseline ? I just tried mine yesterday after 800kms since the last fill and I had to use the 8 inch shifting spanner again to get it to release the first bit again.

I just showed the petrol cap to the dealer and they are ordering a replacement fuel cap and the service dept will check it to see if it fixes it.
This has only been since the car software was updated recently, perhaps it isnt releasing enough pressure ?

Isn’t it, as I have read else where on this format, to comply with vapour recovery legislation in the US?
No, it's so air does not mix with the ethanol in the fuel causing water to get in the fuel. This is done as many can use the phev without touching the ICE for months at a time.

No, it's so air does not mix with the ethanol in the fuel causing water to get in the fuel. This is done as many can use the phev without touching the ICE for months at a time.
The ICE has to be used for charging the 12 volt system battery though doesnt it? That battery doesnt charge off the main drive battery system does it or does it trickle charge when driving. So eventually the ICE will have to startup for that ? It should and should charge when plugged in but does it ? I remember when I first bought it it was coming up with 12v system battery low - charging - for a couple of days on startup. What I normally do now is let the ICE run for about 3 - 5 mins at the start of the day then go into EV mode after that. My heater temp is set to 19 - 20 deg and the ICE motor never cuts in now and I stay in EV all day. If it does cut in I just lower the heater Temp 1 deg and the ICE turns off. I'm trying to see how far I can go on one fill up, I'm at 1050 Kms since last fill now and still have 4 bars of fuel ( half tank ) left :)

Last edited:
The ICE has to be used for charging the 12 volt system battery though doesnt it? That battery doesnt charge off the main drive battery system does it or does it trickle charge when driving. So eventually the ICE will have to startup for that ? It should and should charge when plugged in but does it ? I remember when I first bought it it was coming up with 12v system battery low - charging - for a couple of days on startup. What I normally do now is let the ICE run for about 3 - 5 mins at the start of the day then go into EV mode after that. My heater temp is set to 19 - 20 deg and the ICE motor never cuts in now and I stay in EV all day. If it does cut in I just lower the heater Temp 1 deg and the ICE turns off. I'm trying to see how far I can go on one fill up, I'm at 1050 Kms since last fill now and still have 4 bars of fuel ( half tank ) left :)
The MG HS has a DC-DC converter and can charge the 12v with the HV battery. This is easy to test, While moving your seat forwards/backwards, power up the vehicle. You will notice the seat moves faster as the DC-DC converter turns on.

Your 12V battery low is more likely to do with the vehicle sitting for a long time before being delivered to you.

The ICE is needed for cabin heat, as the HS PHEV does not contain a electrical heater or heat pump, so it needs to use engine heat for cabin heating. This means when the target temp is higher than the internal temp and the solar heating (it measures the light intensity from the sun) then the engine will be started.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom