Cant remove tyre inflater plug from 12v socket (cigarette lighter socket)

JimmyTwotimes

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Just inflated tyres as the sensor suggested they were too low. Inflated fine using normal car inflator plugged into the 12v cigarette light socket.
But bizarrely now i cant pull the plug from the socket. I've given it a good yank but don't wanna try pulling much harder as it feels locked in.

Can it be locked in? I've used the same pump before and it came out no problem.

Could it be the cold?

Stumped!

OK i managed to get the plug out and this is how, as it may help others.

I used a piece of plastic laminating sheet, its super thin but stiff enough not to crumple.

I rolled it in a tube, same diameter as the socket and managed, with a bit of twisting, to push it through and obviously get between the plug pins and the socket.

The plug then came out!

I'm still not sure why it locked in place. I've marked the plug so i now know which way is 'up' on the plug and it now seems to move in and out as designed.

Thanks all for responding. Great to know this forum is properly active and looking to help each other :)

12v sockets have slots in them and if they are the same width as the spring contacts on the side of the plug then it's easy to jam them in. I always make sure when plugging in to make sure the spring contacts don't line up with the slots in the socket.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 516 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.7%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back