Car Dead when using remote heating

Dan C

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
So the fudgewits at MG Barnsley updated the software on my MG4 SR despite me and the service manager clearing putting “do not update software” on the work pack.

This has turned on LKA every time which is actually dangerous in my option and completely unusable.

Another issue is now when I use the remote heating function my car will fail to start up ! I have to exit the car, lock the doors, open app and disable remote heating then I can actually use my car.

Anyone else had this issue ? It was never like this- could use to remote heat, hop in car and go.

Yes, I've had the problem, but I just thought it was the way it worked. Once I managed to stop the heating from the app, but the second time the app refused to work and I had to wait until the ten minutes was up before I could drive off. You should be able to stop it from inside the car but it just ignores all button presses.

I had no idea it was not always thus.

The pre-heating on my Trophy stopped as soon as I unlocked the car to get in.
I don't know if that's what's supposed to happen or if, by sheer coincidence, the pre-heat timed out at that same moment.

Just tested in my Trophy. Set remote heating. Went to car, unlocked and sat down on driver's seat. Neither display powered up. AC button lit-up but pressing it has no effect. Pressed brake pedal and both displays came to life, the info screen immediately showing the Home screen, the driver's display going through its start-up process, and the AC stopped.

Apologies all, I’ve been stupid.

The car is indeed dead until you press the break pedal ( unsure of why it doesn’t wake up normally when you sit in the seat )

It’s been several months since I’ve used the remote heating function.

I didn't get the chance to test it last night because the heating stopped as I was fastening my seat belt, before I got to pressing the brake. But I'm sure that's the answer. We've all got so used to touching nothing until the screen has booted up (not sure that's actually necessary or even particularly helpful in fact, but there you go), that we just sit looking at the screen and maybe pressing the fan button, wondering why it won't go off.

It's more how it feels. If it's a raw, wet night and I'm coming out of a cosy house I might use it at a relatively high temperature - maybe as high as 10C. Whereas I wouldn't use it at that temperature on a bright, crisp day.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 540 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.5%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back