Car heating has stopped working

Marlee

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Heating inside the cabin of our early 2021 MG5 EV stopped working last night. Blower still works, just lots of cold air! No local MG garages can service or look at before the new year. Thought I could check to see if any fuses blown and just order a part and fix it myself maybe, but not sure where to look and if this is an easy thing to do, or even permissible under warranty? Can't really wait until Jan sometime though!

I can't believe that all of the MG garages are too busy rectifying MG4s to look at your car. If you have a DTC reader check that, but it is most likely an HV fuse that you'd be mad to play with and would likely invalidate your warranty.
Be prepared to travel to a decent dealer.

The manual says:

Economy Mode
Press the ECON button on the control panel, the air conditioning system will enter Economy Mode, the indicator in the button will illuminate. In Economy Mode, the air conditioning system will run at low energy consumption, so as to prolong the driving range.
Note:
1 Selection of ECON mode will impact situations that require maximum heating or cooling.
2 When the defrost/demist function is activated, the air conditioning system will automatically exit ECON mode, and the ECON mode indicator will extinguish.

So if you take it out of ECON do you get heat?

I can't believe that all of the MG garages are too busy rectifying MG4s to look at your car. If you have a DTC reader check that, but it is most likely an HV fuse that you'd be mad to play with and would likely invalidate your warranty.
Be prepared to travel to a decent dealer.
Tried 4. 3 not available until at least end of first week in Jan. One dealer did actually talk about MG4s! 1 hasn't got back to me.

The manual says:

Economy Mode
Press the ECON button on the control panel, the air conditioning system will enter Economy Mode, the indicator in the button will illuminate. In Economy Mode, the air conditioning system will run at low energy consumption, so as to prolong the driving range.
Note:
1 Selection of ECON mode will impact situations that require maximum heating or cooling.
2 When the defrost/demist function is activated, the air conditioning system will automatically exit ECON mode, and the ECON mode indicator will extinguish.

So if you take it out of ECON do you get heat?
Unfortunately if I take it out of ECON mode I do not get heat.

The car always starts in N mode and back the other day when all was fine, it started up, as per normal, with automatically activating the windscreen heater, the aircon and the back screen heater. Once I am driving, I turn the blower down as find it too noisy, that's all. Reckon it must be a fuse? Will be in Surrey later so will ask around garages down there.

Are you checking the car in Eco mode?
No, Normal mode.

If you want to check a low voltage fuse then in the fusebox in the side of the dashboard by the driver visible when the door is open is F47 which is a 5A described as "High Voltage Electric Heater".

Good luck.

If you want to check a low voltage fuse then in the fusebox in the side of the dashboard by the driver visible when the door is open is F47 which is a 5A described as "High Voltage Electric Heater".

Good luck.
Cheers! Will have a look in the morning.

Any insight into this? Similar problem with our MG5: hearing stopped working.

Dealer can't seem to work out what's wrong, so any ideas would be really helpful!

Good luck.
If it's the fusebox I think it is then you'll probably have to take the lower part of the dashboard under the steering wheel off to get at it, you do it by removing the side panel by the drivers door first, mind the door seals.

Its mostly just clips but there is at least one screw, a Pry tool is recommended, it's not particularly difficult, just a pain. (I had to do it after I accidentally dropped something in the 12v accessory socket and shorted it blowing the fuse)

Apparently an easily removable access panel is far too sensible for MG.

Last edited:
Any insight into this? Similar problem with our MG5: hearing stopped working.

Dealer can't seem to work out what's wrong, so any ideas would be really helpful!
Dealer now asking MG technical if they can advise: apparently nothing they checked seems to have worked. Seems strange for something as apparently simple as the heating!

Heating inside the cabin of our early 2021 MG5 EV stopped working last night. Blower still works, just lots of cold air! No local MG garages can service or look at before the new year. Thought I could check to see if any fuses blown and just order a part and fix it myself maybe, but not sure where to look and if this is an easy thing to do, or even permissible under warranty? Can't really wait until Jan sometime though!
My heater,same model as yours failed 3 days ago. Being the Excite basic model the aircon has to be selected with a button to turn it on. I do have the good fortune that it will work at full blast but 1 click downwards shuts it off.
Strange to say the outside temperature reading started going haywire at the same time. It is wavering between 9c and 36c. Coincidence?

My heater,same model as yours failed 3 days ago. Being the Excite basic model the aircon has to be selected with a button to turn it on. I do have the good fortune that it will work at full blast but 1 click downwards shuts it off.
Strange to say the outside temperature reading started going haywire at the same time. It is wavering between 9c and 36c. Coincidence?
I suspect it's a simple fuse or sensor issue, but no real evidence for that! Have had similar hard to track down issues with house boilers that were caused by sensor failure, which makes me wonder if something similar is going on here.

Due back into garage shortly for another look, so we'll see. Sadly makes our beloved mg5 effectively unusable in this cold snap, so we've had to fall back on our old diesel, which has the unfortunate benefit of generating a lot of waste heat.

Hi everyone. Has anyone managed to resolve the cabin heating? And how. It just happened to my car and the earliest booking from MG dealership is mid March and they also want to charge £150 investigation fees.

Heater now fixed by MG, covered by the warranty! Very pleased with the service provided on this one.

Some kind of failure in the heating unit. Had to be replaced, which involved shutting the whole high voltage system down. No idea beyond that!

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom