Car insurance renewal

colsky

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I'm now at the time to renew the insurance on my MG4, and am astounded by the increase.

Last year the premium for my old MGZS EV was £274. When I got my new MG4 in November 2022 the premium was £283, and I was very happy with this. Because I tied this in with a multi car policy with my wife's car, the premium was pro rated down to run until June 2023. I have now had the renewal quote (with Admiral) and its up to £515! So an 81% increase!! I've gone online to get a few quotes, and this £515 isn't that high compared to others.

I know car insurance premiums have risen, but this seems an overlarge increase! Question for the forum - does £515 seem very high for a 58 year old, with no previous convictions or accidents, and 20+ years of no claims?

I'm now at the time to renew the insurance on my MG4, and am astounded by the increase.

Last year the premium for my old MGZS EV was £274. When I got my new MG4 in November 2022 the premium was £283, and I was very happy with this. Because I tied this in with a multi car policy with my wife's car, the premium was pro rated down to run until June 2023. I have now had the renewal quote (with Admiral) and its up to £515! So an 81% increase!! I've gone online to get a few quotes, and this £515 isn't that high compared to others.

I know car insurance premiums have risen, but this seems an overlarge increase! Question for the forum - does £515 seem very high for a 58 year old, with no previous convictions or accidents, and 20+ years of no claims?
When you say you have gone on line have you tried all the comparison sites. For my swap of the car on Friday I found Money supermarket to be the cheapest for the policy I went for

When you say you have gone on line have you tried all the comparison sites. For my swap of the car on Friday I found Money supermarket to be the cheapest for the policy I went for
Not all yet, but Money Supermarket was the first I tried, and that was around £500 too.

Not all yet, but Money Supermarket was the first I tried, and that was around £500 too.
I am currently with AA and they wanted over £500 so through money supermarket I managed to creep under £400 with Saga. Fully comp, NCD protected

I was with Admiral previously. Adding it as Multicover (we have home insurance with them) gave me a pro-rated annual premium of about £375. This year (insurance has just started from June 1st) they were wanting £580 ish for the car. After I called they would haggle down to £440 ish but no lower ... a Meerkat check gave me £270 with Aviva Zero - guess who I went with. ;)

I’m with admiral and for the next 6 months I paid £300, they applied all the NCD as I was already a customer and I was keeping my other car. I also used money supermarket and was getting the 550+ quotes. I’m 63 have to pay more for the privilege of being retired!
I pay about £400 a year for a 17 year old land rover discovery, so figured approx £600 a year for a 33k car was about right.

I was with Admiral previously. Adding it as Multicover (we have home insurance with them) gave me a pro-rated annual premium of about £375. This year (insurance has just started from June 1st) they were wanting £580 ish for the car. After I called they would haggle down to £440 ish but no lower ... a Meerkat check gave me £270 with Aviva Zero - guess who I went with. ;)
I went with Aviva Zero after Directline upped my premium and I checked on Meerkat. Saved around £100 on my Jazz. Due to take delivery of an MG4. The new premium will be interesting...

Just moved from Admiral who wanted £750 to MoreThan at £550. Could have got it a bit cheaper but by the time I added legal cover etc MoreThan was the best value for me. I've only got 3 years NCD so hopefully it will drop in a couple of years 🤞

The problem is probably the unknown repair costs of an MG4 - until that becomes more clear premiums will be high(er).
I'm glad mine's a company lease, insurance etc all covered.

I went with Aviva Zero after Directline upped my premium and I checked on Meerkat. Saved around £100 on my Jazz. Due to take delivery of an MG4. The new premium will be interesting...
I am currently with AA for my current car and paid just over £212 for fully comp, ncd protected with legal protection. Now paying £396 with same coverage for the MG4. We will see how it pans out at renewal next year.

The ideal notice to give insurance companies to give a competitive quote is three to four weeks, but as in most cases they are only given a weeks notice, the quotes are higher.

My cover is fully comp Social, Domestic and Pleasure. (No Commuting, as I'm retired). I didn't take any of the add-ons, but voluntary excess is £0. I also declared 0 NCD (as I'd only been with Admiral for 7 months and didn't know what NCD they would give me - as it happens they gave me 1 year, but hey ho. I came to the MG4 from a company car so I hadn't had any personal car insurance for 12 years). As I said earlier, this policy was ~£270.

My cover is fully comp Social, Domestic and Pleasure. (No Commuting, as I'm retired). I didn't take any of the add-ons, but voluntary excess is £0. I also declared 0 NCD (as I'd only been with Admiral for 7 months and didn't know what NCD they would give me - as it happens they gave me 1 year, but hey ho. I came to the MG4 from a company car so I hadn't had any personal car insurance for 12 years). As I said earlier, this policy was ~£270.
One of the few benefits of being 'senior' 🤣 My MX-5 (2.0L petrol) insurance was less than £150 for the same reason

My ZS was £168 last year, LV with multicar discount. I checked on GoCompare to see what the 4 would be and the cheapest was £274. LV wasn't on there. When I changed over to the 4 with LV with 5 weeks left on the policy it cost me £1.65 plus the £15 admin fee, so I'm hoping my renewal will be around the £200 mark with LV and my multicar discount.

The ideal notice to give insurance companies to give a competitive quote is three to four weeks, but as in most cases they are only given a weeks notice, the quotes are higher.
Normally that is how I would operate with an existing car I was keeping but sometimes you can’t have that time when getting a new one and for me to get an accurate quote I had to wait for a registration number to be advised

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 518 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.6%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.2%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back