Car won't "detect" charger

Edd Beesley

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Not sure if anyone will have had this experience or can offer any insight, but here's hoping...!

I have a British Gas/Chargemaster charge point at home, a tethered 30 amp type 1 unit that has been working fine since 2014. For the last 4 years i've been charging my car (Kia eNiro) using this adaptor: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B085XSB38S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 which has worked absolutely fine. After trying to connect my new MG4, i get orange lights in the charge port of the car and the dashboard gives a message that connection can't be established. Does anyone know what this would be and if it's possible to use an adaptor like this with the MG4? Don't really want to replace my charge point if it's not necessary as even the cheapest options look like they're about £500.

Is the car taking AC charge from other sources ? Just thinking to rule out it being a car issue before going down the charger route.

Another thing I have experienced myself - Powerline networking kit really upset my car. Just in case you have any of that in your home.

Sorry I should have said, the portable EVSE supplied with the car, and the one that came with my eNiro both work fine on the MG4 (although the car reports that as only 1.8kw being supplied), and they’re running on the same mini consumer unit in the garage so have the same grounding setup etc. This has just made me think though, I can test the portable EVSE from my Leaf (also type1) with the adaptor to see if that works.

No power line equipment in the house, but I do have solar with a battery setup. Though again the portable EVSE works so I don’t think it’s “noisy” AC that’s the issue (indeed the wall mounted unit doesn’t engage the contractors, so the MG hasn’t actually seen the AC only the pilot signal)

1.8kW is what the MG supplied granny charger delivers so yours seems correct.

Rather than replace the charger (EVSE) why not just replace the tethered cable to a type 2? They are available to purchase and an electrician shouldn't charge too much to replace it.

1.8kW is what the MG supplied granny charger delivers so yours seems correct.

Rather than replace the charger (EVSE) why not just replace the tethered cable to a type 2? They are available to purchase and an electrician shouldn't charge too much to replace it.
Yeah I did consider that, but if it’s a signal issue from the EVSE then it still wouldn’t work with a swapped tethered lead.

I’ll try some public AC charging first and rule that out. Thinking further I also have a Type 1 to Type 2 lead for my Leaf, so I can use the T2 to T2 lead on a public point with the MG and if that works, try the T2 to T1 lead with the T1 to T2 adaptor. If that works it’s my home EVSE that’s the problem, if it doesn’t it’s the adaptor!

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 499 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 84 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 46 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back