Car wont unlock

You should be able to open it with the key blade if you remove the key hole cover from the drivers door handle you don’t say which ZS mk 1or 2 if it’s the 2 you can try the app and if that doesn’t work it sounds like a dead battery is you problem maybe but the first method will still work even with a Flat battery
Les

Spare key? Replace battery? If facelift then use the app? Otherwise use the phyiscal key blade to open.

All ok now, thanks guys.
AA called as car is less than a year old.
They were here within 45 mins so great service!
Dead 12v battery as you thought.
It's a Mk2 but the App won't work if the 12v battery is dead or very low!
The App stopped working last week but after a trip out it started working again!
Maybe that's a heads up people, if the App stops working, check the 12v battery!

Was the 12v completely dead and had to be recharged?

And was it stood for a long time?

Was the 12v completely dead and had to be recharged?

And was it stood for a long time?
Had to use the spare key blade to open the door, easy when you know how!
Why were we not shown that by MG?

Not completely dead but very very low, car started ok with a jump pack.
Told to leave it running for an hour and then plug the car into the home charger for an hour and then drive it for at least half an hour!
Also needs to booked into MG for a diagnostic check to find out if something is drawing from the battery even when it's all turned off!

Last trip out was Thursday last week but I did move it out of the drive on Saturday.
All seemed ok then!

If you are using ANY 12 volt electrical items inside the car when it is parked up, ensure you have the car in the full READY mode.
If the car is in STANDBY mode and you have items like the radio etc, you can run the risk of flattening the 12 volt battery.
The 12 volt battery receives a recharge from the main HV traction battery under the floor of the car, but this only happens in READY mode or when the car is in charge.
Top Tip :- Purchase a 12 volt battery booster pack and keep it under the driver seat.
If this happens again, you can open the car with the emergency key and use the booster pack yourself.
You were lucky the recovery service was close by this time, having a booster pack could save you a long wait !.
If you have a 12 volt smart charger, I would consider giving the 12 battery a charge.

Told to leave it running for an hour and then plug the car into the home charger for an hour and then drive it for at least half an hour!
Driving it won't make any difference to charging the battery leave in ready or charging the HV will be fine but if duff battery it's just a sticking plaster

Booked into my nearest main dealer, Richmonds of Guildford, for a diagnostic check!
1st available appointment, any guesses??
1st JUNE !!!!!!

Last edited:
Driving it won't make any difference to charging the battery leave in ready or charging the HV will be fine but if duff battery it's just a sticking plaster
It's kind of madness that they even suggested it. It's almost like they think it has a combustion engine and an alternator 👀

These cars need to be capable of managing their own ancillary battery health.

Manufacturers need to start switching these systems around to Lithium Ion batteries similar what Tesla are proposing to do. This way it matches the characteristics of the main pack. These lead acid batteries just aren't as reliable and don't last as long as they should.

It's kind of madness that they even suggested it. It's almost like they think it has a combustion engine and an alternator 👀

These cars need to be capable of managing their own ancillary battery health.

Manufacturers need to start switching these systems around to Lithium Ion batteries similar what Tesla are proposing to do. This way it matches the characteristics of the main pack. These lead acid batteries just aren't as reliable and don't last as long as they should.
They could offer a larger leisure battery that would help, but they are unlikely to offer any of these better alternatives as it increases the cost of the car.
About 10p worth of brake lub would be great idea, so absolutely NO chance of getting LI battery installed under the bonnet 🤣.

I bought the car from Wiltshire & sons of Farnham, they have been absolutely brilliant so far!
They have offered to pick my car up, from home, leave me a car and deliver my car to Richmonds in Guildford!
Better than my dealer. They delivered the car with no ability to rapid charge it, and then made me wait 2 weeks for an appointment to look it. No drop/pick up.

If you are using ANY 12 volt electrical items inside the car when it is parked up, ensure you have the car in the full READY mode.
If the car is in STANDBY mode and you have items like the radio etc, you can run the risk of flattening the 12 volt battery.
The 12 volt battery receives a recharge from the main HV traction battery under the floor of the car, but this only happens in READY mode or when the car is in charge.
Top Tip :- Purchase a 12 volt battery booster pack and keep it under the driver seat.
If this happens again, you can open the car with the emergency key and use the booster pack yourself.
You were lucky the recovery service was close by this time, having a booster pack could save you a long wait !.
If you have a 12 volt smart charger, I would consider giving the 12 battery a charge.
Can you recommend a good 12v booster pack?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom