Car wouldn't start

dgs99

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Had my MG5-ev for 3 months now and went to start the car yesterday and it wouldn't run! Had done all the procedures, foot on brake, press start etc and system all booted up OK, however when I pressed the accelerator nothing happened. Switched everything off and started again, and this time I heard a loud clunk coming from the rear left hand side after which everything worked OK. I guess the handbrake had stuck on the first time and rebooting it had freed it. Anyone lese experienced this problem? It was a bit annoying and the first problem I have experienced with it, just hope it is not a regular occurrence.

Sometimes if I put it in ready and drive to quickly it doesn't like it but I just press the start button again and is it fine.

The key is to HOLD your foot on the brake and don't let go until it's finished booting up.

I don't have an EV, I have a ZS Exclusive petrol but I've had the car less than a year and it hasn't started on two occasions. Taking three attempts to start. They investigated first time to say they can see a fault occurred but don't know what it was (MG was trying to say its due to low usage but I'd just driven 2hrs). The car is going back for the second incident to be investigated. I also find my dashboard going black occasionally.
I hope you get to the bottom of your issue.

It's probably that you put it into drive (D) to quickly. As others have said, you can resolve this by turning off and on again (but more slowly this time). However, it can also be resolved if you push P then back into D again. This should also resolve it and is quicker than turning off and on again.

Thanks for your suggestions, but it was a heavy clunk I heard that made me suspect a seized brake 'freeing up' which had caused the initial drive failure.

On console are 2 switches with lights. p for parking break and a for automatic parking break. The clunk occurs when the red parking light is on. Pull switch lever to disengage as it sometimes does not disengage. If auto switch light orange is on that won’t affect the result. But if it’s off you will need to turn back on before auto hand break works again. Often get the red parking break light jammed on when parked on a hill.

Did your clunk occur before the car started moving?

There obviously the double clunk of the HV battery contactors engaging. Maybe it was that?
Sometimes the brake pedal is stiff so you have to press it a bit harder to get the car to start.

I find if I'm too quick on start up sequence the electronic hand brake doesn't disengage when you put in gear , so then have to do it manually by pressing it... (or alternatively can put into park and then drive/reverse again which is longer ...or Off and on again which is even more longer)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom