carplay apple maps layout changing dynamically

wenkatn

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
I have been noticing this on most of my recent trips and is not a trivial issue to ignore (at least for me).
I use Apple maps via carplay. You have the map and then two navigation cards overlaid above it. One showing the upcoming change in direction and another showing distance and time remaining and ETA. These cards appear on the left of the apple maps screen one at the top and one at the bottom. On the right side of the apple maps, I see nothing but the speed limit on the top right in a circle badge. This is the standard layout. On my long trips, i see this layout changed on my return journey. Cards that appeared on the left are now on the right and speed limit badge that was on the right now on the left. I can't find out when and why it happens? May be day and night settings change this?
This is just a simple layout switch that happens for no reason. But imagine you are on a long trip for hours and you got used to this layout and then suddenly changing on your return journey and making your muscle memory to re-train to this new layout.
Anyone experienced this?

I have experineced similar with Apple CarPlay in general. The menu (for the whole of Apple CarPlay) will randomly be either on the left or right hand side of the screen at each startup. Perhaps this is the reason behind your specific Apple Maps display ?. There is a separate thread on the Apple CarPlay menu position somewhere (sorry could'nt find a link). It is obviously a bug as many people have the same issue or just have the menu on the left (when it should be on the right for RHD cars).

Last edited:
I have experineced similar with Apple CarPlay in general. The menu (for the whole of Apple CarPlay) will randomly be either on the left or right hand side of the screen at each startup. Perhaps this is the reason behind your specific Apple Maps display ?. There is a separate thread on the Apple CarPlay menu position somewhere.
Yes, exactly. Apple carplay menu sometimes on the left and sometimes on the right.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 504 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 86 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 47 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back