Carplay issue

bigalfromwigan

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
HI everybody. I have only just taken delivery of my pre-facelift MG5 and I have tried several times to get Apple Carplay to work.

I have a question for other owners. When you press the Android Auto button on the touchscreen, with no phone plugged in, you get an error message telling you that it can't find a phone. But when I press the Carplay button, I get no response.

I have tried having my iphone connected and pressing the button with still no response. When I look at the phone for pairing, the car does not appear on the list. I have tried it with three different cables so far with no joy.

Do I have a faulty infotainment unit or is there some setting I am missing? I have scoured the manual but I can't find anything.

I have the FL but this may help. The car is EXTREMELY fussy on cables. I find it only works well with the cable that came with the phone. Even then it is a bit fussy.

HI everybody. I have only just taken delivery of my pre-facelift MG5 and I have tried several times to get Apple Carplay to work.

I have a question for other owners. When you press the Android Auto button on the touchscreen, with no phone plugged in, you get an error message telling you that it can't find a phone. But when I press the Carplay button, I get no response.

I have tried having my iphone connected and pressing the button with still no response. When I look at the phone for pairing, the car does not appear on the list. I have tried it with three different cables so far with no joy.

Do I have a faulty infotainment unit or is there some setting I am missing? I have scoured the manual but I can't find anything.
I found out what simorgan42 is saying about the cables the hard way - use the original cable. Even with the original brand new cable the unit restarts randomly the carplay connection while driving.

Are you refering to the pairing for bluetooth or under settings/general/carplay?

You need to have the phone plugged in to the correct socket, it won't connect otherwise. When it has connected the little AA blue triangle on the screen will light up a brighter blue before it switches into Android Auto, not sure if the Carplay bit lights up as well as don't have an expensive phone.

Regarding the OP, Apple Carplay and Android Auto are two different products, for different phones. So back to basics. Do you have an Apple phone or an Android?

The following info isn't really aimed at the OP but anyone else who sees the thread. It seems to me that AA once in use doesn't cope well with even the shortest disconnection so while I think there is something in the theory about using a decent cable, I also think if there is there is anything which causes a split second disconnection (e.g. from a well worn phone socket) then you may temporarily lose AA connectivity, and sometimes it doesn't fully recover.

Also there is a known problem with phones which use MIUI (mostly Xiaomi) phones on 11.5 (I think) or later of the MIUI where losing your mobile network signal temporarily will cause AA to disconnect.

I do know that it doesn’t work if the phone is not plugged in. That was not my question. My query concerns the different responses to pressing these buttons with no phone plugged in. Do I have an issue or is this “normal for mg”

I do know that it doesn’t work if the phone is not plugged in. That was not my question. My query concerns the different responses to pressing these buttons with no phone plugged in. Do I have an issue or is this “normal for mg”

Is Bluetooth turned on in the Infotainment ?

Also make sure the lightning port is clean I usually use wireless charging and also wireless CarPlay (via a dongle) so I quite often find the few times I goto use wired it doesn’t work because the port on the iPhone side is full of gunk from pocket fluff etc

How does that work if your phone can't find the MG to pair with?
Apple CarPlay isn’t wireless.

Also make sure the lightning port is clean I usually use wireless charging and also wireless CarPlay (via a dongle) so I quite often find the few times I goto use wired it doesn’t work because the port on the iPhone side is full of gunk from pocket fluff etc
I usually charge with the lightning port so I don’t think that’s the issue. Waiting for a new lead to arrive.

I usually charge with the lightning port so I don’t think that’s the issue. Waiting for a new lead to arrive.
What dongle do you use? I’m considering that route.

What dongle do you use? I’m considering that route.
A carlinkit mini v3, although mine doesn't seem to want to update to the latest software for some reason (it just gets stuck updating). If i was buying one now it would probably be the carlinkit v4 as that can do android auto as well.

It works most of the time after I set an FPS limit in the settings (accessable from the phone via a webpage) but occasionally it decides not to talk to the car and I'm not sure why.

Good news everybody. After trying four different cables, number 5 arrived today and when I tried it, it just worked. So all you people who said it was the cable, pat yourselves on the back. Job well done.
Thank you to all who contributed.

Hi, you have to connect with a cable with MG. Always... But there are issues with connecting to MG.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom