Carrying a load on the roof

AncientMariner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
I asked the question of the dealer (Richmond, Southampton) and, after some checking, they confirmed the roof can carry a load of up to 75kg. MG do not have a carrier system, at least yet, but it is possible that someone makes a generic roof bar system that would fit, a bit like some older Fords where the feet rested on the roof and flat brackets 'hook' onto the door frames. I've seen a few on t'interweb which MAY suit. I cannot check without a car to play with.

I have a vested interest as I wish to carry a kayak. I have ordered an MG4 this week and I'm taking a chance that this can be resolved before, or very shortly after, I take delivery. It will be possible to use one of those inflatable roof rack thingummies, but I've never actually used one and don't know if they would be stable/secure enough, I'm thinking not just of weight but the aerodynamics of a boat.

If anyone else has anything useful to add, or advice, I'd be grateful.

Curses 🤬 . I only ordered it because it could!!! I have a mk1 ZS EV and initially was looking for the newer upgraded version. I was hugely impressed by MG4 so ordered that instead.
It looks as though I'll have to cancel. I'm massively disappointed. 😪

Curses 🤬 . I only ordered it because it could!!! I have a mk1 ZS EV and initially was looking for the newer upgraded version. I was hugely impressed by MG4 so ordered that instead.
It looks as though I'll have to cancel. I'm massively disappointed. 😪
Don’t take my word for it “AM”, post a question in the thread for tonight’s podcast and Miles may give a definitive answer one way or the other. 👍

or seak advice from another dealer

My understanding is that it isn’t certified for a roof rack but it might get certified later as I believe happened with the MG5. No idea if this is true, just what my dealer said.
Thanks for this. If it isn't certified, it wouldn't be insured. I cannot take the risk. I'd look at the 5 but the management won't drive it. She'll only drive the ZS under duress. She has a 2014 Smart Fortwo ED Cabrio and you can't get a boat on one of those!!!!

Thanks for this. If it isn't certified, it wouldn't be insured. I cannot take the risk. I'd look at the 5 but the management won't drive it. She'll only drive the ZS under duress. She has a 2014 Smart Fortwo ED Cabrio and you can't get a boat on one of those!!!!
You can tow with the MG4, a small trailer perhaps?

Sorry to disappoint you guys but Miles Roberts is right there is no roof load on the MG4 but it can tow upto 500kg and the tow bar hitch can carry 50 kg, couple of bikes I would think,screen shot from manual below full manual on MG website.
Les

7A5A4CB3-21CB-464D-82BC-8687ED06095E.png

I asked the question of the dealer (Richmond, Southampton) and, after some checking, they confirmed the roof can carry a load of up to 75kg. MG do not have a carrier system, at least yet, but it is possible that someone makes a generic roof bar system that would fit, a bit like some older Fords where the feet rested on the roof and flat brackets 'hook' onto the door frames. I've seen a few on t'interweb which MAY suit. I cannot check without a car to play with.

I have a vested interest as I wish to carry a kayak. I have ordered an MG4 this week and I'm taking a chance that this can be resolved before, or very shortly after, I take delivery. It will be possible to use one of those inflatable roof rack thingummies, but I've never actually used one and don't know if they would be stable/secure enough, I'm thinking not just of weight but the aerodynamics of a boat.

If anyone else has anything useful to add, or advice, I'd be grateful.
MG on Facebook said in a messenger conversation that mg4 would be able to handle roof rack/load.

I've carried kayaks on cars without roof racks and have never worried about whether or not the car concerned is certified or not. I just put something soft on the roof to protect it and then use ratchet straps through the cabin to secure the kayak(s), tying the front of the kayak to the towing eye and improvising something at the rear.

Probably I've been taking a bit of a risk in doing so, but I believe in taking a modicum of risk

Indeed. I agree for local journeys and wouldn't have an issue with trips <=30miles (probably 90% of journeys with the kayak/s). I would use an inflatable rack happily. I am most concerned about the longer journeys, I go to the Devon coast, the lakes and Nottingham from time to time. I want to do those journeys at speeds and, it may be okay with a soft rack but I would like a bit more confidence. Also the flexibility to add j brackets so I can carry two boats (greedy). In any event, I'll research when I have the car (likely the new year) to test fit and post my findings on this forum. There are a few likely candidates out there and there are fittings for the mg3 and mg6 of a similar type currently available, so I am confident that I will find something suitable. Eventually!

Now cannot wait for the new car.

You can tow, up to 50kg. The kayak is about 20kg and 3.8m long. I have considered it but parking car and trailer can be a challenge.

On that front, can someone who has an MG4 look on their VIN plate and confirm that the towing capacity is stamped on there? There was nothing on the door info plate on the demo model I looked at, but I assume the actual VIN plate is under the bonnet somewhere.

On that front, can someone who has an MG4 look on their VIN plate and confirm that the towing capacity is stamped on there? There was nothing on the door info plate on the demo model I looked at, but I assume the actual VIN plate is under the bonnet somewhere.

Attachments

• 5A46E704-FE90-4E14-8B81-09874512ECDD.jpeg
    5A46E704-FE90-4E14-8B81-09874512ECDD.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 277
Until it is certified, using any roof rack would most likely invalidate your insurance. That could cause you a world of pain even if you were not at fault in any accident.

I expect it will get retrospectively certified.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 530 79.2%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel