Centre Rotary N P D Switch

Seve

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Has anybody experienced "cracking" of the chrome surround of the Centre Rotary N P D switch? mine has cracked and consequently has a sharp edge, which you can catch your fingers on when operating the Rotary Switch. Can this be replaced ?

MGZS EV 70 Reg with 15000 miles on the clock

Have a look at the warranty terms on MG's site also as to what's covered

Hi all
My son bought a “20” plate zs ev a couple of weeks ago with the same thing around the “p”
We mentioned this to the sales rep at the time of purchase
He said he would see if it was covered under warranty
Last week he called my son to ask when he could bring it in to be swapped over
So it maybe under warranty or it may have been a good will gesture
It’s worth popping to your local dealership and asking the question
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Hi all
My son bought a “20” plate zs ev a couple of weeks ago with the same thing around the “p”
We mentioned this to the sales rep at the time of purchase
He said he would see if it was covered under warranty
Last week he called my son to ask when he could bring it in to be swapped over
So it maybe under warranty or it may have been a good will gesture
It’s worth popping to your local dealership and asking the question
Hope this helps
Ian
😃👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
The price of the part and the time required to install it, is likely to determine if the dealer will pick up the bill I guess :ROFLMAO: .
If it's covered under warranty and they can claim for the job, then they surely will !.
If the actual chrome effect top can be replaced, without changing the rotary control itself, then its going to be a cheap job.

Was just about to use the search to find this thread when you beat me to it. Had ours replaced under warranty

• Guarantees repair replacement or adjustment, free of charge, by an Authorised Repairer, of any part which fails during the warranty period, as a result of a manufacturing or material defect.

It should be coved by the warranty, I would be kicking up a stink if they refused.

• Guarantees repair replacement or adjustment, free of charge, by an Authorised Repairer, of any part which fails during the warranty period, as a result of a manufacturing or material defect.

It should be coved by the warranty, I would be kicking up a stink if they refused.
That'd depend on the warranty period for the part in question - interior trim isn't 7 years. It's minor though, so the dealer may just do it of their own accord.

Where can I find what's covered under warranty and for how long, I've downloaded and read the car manual but there isn't any mention of the warranty and the sales brochure just talks in general terms of 8 years

Screenshot_20220426_112759_com.google.android.apps.docs.jpg

That'd depend on the warranty period for the part in question - interior trim isn't 7 years. It's minor though, so the dealer may just do it of their own accord.
I would be very concerned if the "Drive Selector" was being classed as interior trim...

IMO warranty doesn't apply anyway. If it's a fault present when buying the car the dealer should fix it, if they want to claim on the warrant, that's up to them. Either way the buyer should not be paying for it.

I would be very concerned if the "Drive Selector" was being classed as interior trim...
It doesn't matter what they class it as if it falls outside the warranty period for that particular part. I'd expect if it hinders use then it'd be a free replacement, but I take nothing for granted.

If it’s not part of the interior trim, then what iS it classed as ?.
It’s not part of the drive train etc.
It’s merely a rotary selector switch that sends a message / command to drive module.
The OP has a problem with chrome centre section lifting or peeling I believe.
The operation and selection switch, appears to be working fine.
It’s just the decorative centre circle that is at fault, if my understand is correct.
If this chrome bezel can not be supplied separately, then the whole switch assembly may need replacing.
The warranty on interior trim is usually 12 months with most manufactures.
If it’s classed as something else, then it comes under a different criteria of the warranty.
I do remember some other member having the same issue / problem with this chrome bezel lifting ?.

If this chrome bezel can not be supplied separately, then the whole switch assembly may need replacing.
It all comes down to this.

If it only comes as a complete item then it must be considered part of the drive train because the switch itself definitely is part of the drive train. If you aren't sure about this, just ask yourself how far your car will go if this switch were removed?

Has anybody experienced "cracking" of the chrome surround of the Centre Rotary N P D switch? mine has cracked and consequently has a sharp edge, which you can catch your fingers on when operating the Rotary Switch. Can this be replaced ?

MGZS EV 70 Reg with 15000 miles on the clock
Yes it is common I was told by the salesman at my dealer to have the centre of the P peel off but I had the chrome from the chamfer around the edge of the knob flaking and peeling which was sharp enough to give me lots of small cuts on my fingertips. As I mentioned it to the dealer a month before 2nd Service, the expensive one, they changed it FOC at the service although i don't believe it is a warrantee issue. It is always worth asking as it is a common issue although if it had just been the little bit in the middle of the P I doubt if I would have bothered.

The infotainment is only warrantied for 3 years? Same for the driver aids (which are safety aids!). Is that standard to all companies? How does it compare to Kia's 7 year, do they also have a ton of exclusions?

Last edited by a moderator:
The infotainment is only warrantied for 3 years? Same for the driver aids (which are safety aids!). Is that standard to all companies? How does it compare to Kia's 7 year, do they also have a ton of exclusions?
Yes they (Kia) do. Before I had my MG ZS I owned a Kia eNiro and the head line 7 year i can assure you doesn't cover every nut a screw. I had a Renault Laguna from New about 20 years ago. It had a 3 year warranty but when it was only 13 months old, one cell in the 12 volt battery broke and I called the AA. Turns out that Renault said the battery was a consumable so it wasn't covered by 3 year car warranty and because the battery was fitted by Renault the BOSH battery Guaranty was only 1 year. Apparently, this is normal practice that Component Suppliers only offer 12 months when selling to integrators or manufactures irrespective of the "Retail" warrantee for the same product and this accounts for the price difference you pay for a replacement item compared with the "Trade" price paid by you vehicle manufacture. In the above example of my BOSH battery, BOSH has no control over how their product is store or when it is used by Renault so they transfer the warranty obligation to Renault and charge them a significantly lower price. When they sell a battery to you or me BOSH remain liable for its replacement for say 3 years and have to cover that risk of replacement cost.

If this were not done this way we'd pay much more for our cars and we'd have hundreds if not thousands of warranty dockets for every component part in our cars and claiming on warranty would be a nightmare of a job.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom