Centre Rotary N P D Switch

If it’s not part of the interior trim, then what iS it classed as ?.
It’s not part of the drive train etc.
It’s merely a rotary selector switch that sends a message / command to drive module.
The OP has a problem with chrome centre section lifting or peeling I believe.
The operation and selection switch, appears to be working fine.
It’s just the decorative centre circle that is at fault, if my understand is correct.
If this chrome bezel can not be supplied separately, then the whole switch assembly may need replacing.
The warranty on interior trim is usually 12 months with most manufactures.
If it’s classed as something else, then it comes under a different criteria of the warranty.
I do remember some other member having the same issue / problem with this chrome bezel lifting ?.
Would you classify your gear stick in a manual car a part of the interior trim? If that snapped off would you not expect that to be covered under warranty? If that part has also cracked due to a manufacturing defect and is now in the state that it is causing injury to a person (albeit minor) then it "should" be replaced under warranty imo

Would you classify your gear stick in a manual car a part of the interior trim? If that snapped off would you not expect that to be covered under warranty? If that part has also cracked due to a manufacturing defect and is now in the state that it is causing injury to a person (albeit minor) then it "should" be replaced under warranty imo
Although I do I agree that it should be covered under the warranty and it probably will be, it is only the circular round chrome top plate that is faulty.
YES - It needs replacing, but I don’t agree that this is part of the drive train.
If you removed this bezel, the car would be perfectly drivable.
If the gear lever or gear linkage on a manual car broken, then this would make the car un- drivable.
It’s a psychical connection required to select the required gear and is required for every gear change.
The gear selector in the ZS EV is an electrical switch, no more no less.
In the OP’s car, the switch is working fine, it’s just the top bezel that is faulty.
In my mind, it just forms part of the interior trim of the car.
It is purely a decorative trim piece, it has no psychical connection to the drive train.
The drive selector switch if fine, is my understanding.
I have no doubt that it will be replaced under warranty regardless.

It's also been discussed on the MG Owners FB page with some pics too. Some people have just replaced themselves, some have had success with their dealer replacing it - seems it's worth a try as the first stop. Worst case, it's not expensive to just order the part and do it one's self.

Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 10.48.06.png

Screenshot 2022-05-13 at 10.49.21.png

Out of interest can someone post the size of the disc that needs replacing please?

Although I do I agree that it should be covered under the warranty and it probably will be, it is only the circular round chrome top plate that is faulty.
YES - It needs replacing, but I don’t agree that this is part of the drive train.
If you removed this bezel, the car would be perfectly drivable.
If the gear lever or gear linkage on a manual car broken, then this would make the car un- drivable.
It’s a psychical connection required to select the required gear and is required for every gear change.
The gear selector in the ZS EV is an electrical switch, no more no less.
In the OP’s car, the switch is working fine, it’s just the top bezel that is faulty.
In my mind, it just forms part of the interior trim of the car.
It is purely a decorative trim piece, it has no psychical connection to the drive train.
The drive selector switch if fine, is my understanding.
I have no doubt that it will be replaced under warranty regardless.
I'd agree with this. And even if we were talking about a whole switch assembly, it isn't a question of whether it can be fixed - just whether or not MG will cover the fee. Even if your gear stick snapped, I don't think they have infinite warranty?

It seems relatively simple at first glance, so if it's just classed as trim I'd hope the dealer will do it as a gesture of goodwill even if it's chargeable.

Could always try a replacement sticker? View attachment 8448View attachment 8449
Price is for 4 so cheap alternative if needed?
Great idea !.
Ideally, it just lacking the “P” window symbol in the top, to allow the parking light to show through.
But the orange ring around the outside edge of the gear selector switch, should still be visible.
There is a park symbol displayed in the dash panel as a back up though !.
The OEM replacement can’t be too expensive surely ?.
It’s only a self adhesive bezel at the end of the day ??.

Last edited:
Great idea !.
Ideally, it just lacking the “P” window symbol in the top, to allow the parking light to show through.
But the orange ring around the outside edge of the gear selector switch, should still be visible.
There is a park symbol displayed in the dash panel as a back up though !.
The OEM replacement can’t be too expensive surely ?.
It’s only a self adhesive bezel at the end of the day ??.
You could always drill a fine hole through the centre and put a small blob of clear glue from the underside above the central LED and let it draw itself into the hole and dry before fitting it. You should get an orange glow then without it being too bright at night or leaving a hole to get clogged with dust.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom