Ceramic coating

That's why I love my mjjc snow foam lance with bilt hamber touchless snow foam. It's great for a weekly wash and comes up great without have to put a sponge near the car. Once every 1 or 2 months I'll follow up using this again but as a prewash them put some chemical guys supa suds on with the foam lance again then get in there with the wash mitten

Doesn’t have to be special lighting my current car when I park it in the garage it’s just a strip light in there and you should see the swirls on that on the bonnet. This was like that from brand new and was supposed to have the Gardex protection on it before I even drove it home from the dealership. I didn’t see it like that until I put it in the garage. I suppose a lot could be down to the preparation of the car before they applied it but I will never know.

Doesn’t have to be special lighting my current car when I park it in the garage it’s just a strip light in there and you should see the swirls on that on the bonnet. This was like that from brand new and was supposed to have the Gardex protection on it before I even drove it home from the dealership. I didn’t see it like that until I put it in the garage. I suppose a lot could be down to the preparation of the car before they applied it but I will never know.
The dealer will just wash the car & put the Gardex on top of what ever mess is left, there will be no proper machine buffing or clay bar prep.

A good read explaining why a lot of brand new cars have swirl marks and or holograms
Thanks I’ll give that a read this evening.

The dealer will just wash the car & put the Gardex on top of what ever mess is left, there will be no proper machine buffing or clay bar prep.
I think that’s what they did with my current car but hopefully I’ll be changing it soon.

Any one had their MG4 Ceramic Coated rather than the Dealer protection package. Been watching some on YouTube and they show you the state of some brand new ones before and the paint work are full of swirls beforehand.

I did my own weekend before last. My first ever ceramic coating though I have been an OCD detailer for many years. Really pleased with the results and its not difficult but you do need to have 2 days set aside (and an understanding wife/partner!). I used Shelby Ceramic Coating and I'm really pleased with the results. Good preparation of paintwork is key.

I did my own weekend before last. My first ever ceramic coating though I have been an OCD detailer for many years. Really pleased with the results and its not difficult but you do need to have 2 days set aside (and an understanding wife/partner!). I used Shelby Ceramic Coating and I'm really pleased with the results. Good preparation of paintwork is key.
Not sure I would have the patience for setting 2 days aside to do it myself but was looking at local detailers and what they were charging as an alternative to the dealership protection package. As someone has said already the dealership doesn’t spend much time preparing the car before applying their protection.

Did you take any photos before, during & after, I'd consider doing it myself as well. Did you need any special/specific equipment?

Ceramic coating is just one of those things that many people won't care one bit if its there but then others will notice the difference. You certainly don't need to be in a studio to be able to tell. Once the sun starts to come out you can start to see which cars are properly protected and not covered in swirl city.
One of the key benefits to the coating is that it makes cleaning way way way easier and often you don't even need to touch it thus reducing the effect of further swirls as well. Yes it's something you might need to apply.
I'm due to do ours once the weather improves. Need some days where we know there won't be any rain which at the moment isn't possible. Going with CQuartz UK 3.0 and also have some CQuartz Dlux left over for the wheels and plastics.

Ceramic coating is just one of those things that many people won't care one bit if its there but then others will notice the difference. You certainly don't need to be in a studio to be able to tell. Once the sun starts to come out you can start to see which cars are properly protected and not covered in swirl city.
One of the key benefits to the coating is that it makes cleaning way way way easier and often you don't even need to touch it thus reducing the effect of further swirls as well. Yes it's something you might need to apply.
I'm due to do ours once the weather improves. Need some days where we know there won't be any rain which at the moment isn't possible. Going with CQuartz UK 3.0 and also have some CQuartz Dlux left over for the wheels and plastics.
Yes if it makes it easier to clean that’s a plus. Someone on here was saying he does a weekly wash with a touch less snow foam and it comes up with a right shine.

Did you take any photos before, during & after, I'd consider doing it myself as well. Did you need any special/specific equipment?
I didn’t take photos, wish I had but too much to do. In terms of kit I have a Dodo Juice DA polisher

My method was

1. Snow foam, pressure wash
2. Wash, 2 bucket method. Pressure wash rinse.
3. Bilt Hamber Fallout Remover
4. Thorough pressure wash rinse
5. Clay Bar
6. Scholl Concepts - S20 Black Real 1-Step Compound to remove swirls, marring
7. Wash with Chemical Guys Citrus Wash Concentrate, concentrated wash to remove residues
8. Chemical Guys Wipe Out Panel Wipe
9. Apply Shelby Ceramic Coating - wait 2 minutes, wipe with damp cloth then buff with soft microfibre. The buffing takes some elbow grease.
10. Fall into bed, exhausted
11. Optional, at 6am the following morning, invite the family to inspect your beading (weather conditions dependent), note their enthusiasm.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 544 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 91 13.3%
  • No

Votes: 51 7.4%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel