Change driver console display to show celcius instead of farenheit

And that would change from F to C?

No. For anyone that's wants Fahrenheit, factory reset will set that. If you want it back to Celcius after doing a factory reset. You're totally out of luck as there isn't an option anyone can find.

Bit like the disable screen button, the factory reset is also one best not touched.

I've been mithering MG UK customer service about this issue. This is their response:

Dear Mr Fluffykins

Thank you for your email, it can be done but will require bespoke MG software to put the error correct.

It is not a functionality of the unit to transfer from one to the other.

Please make an appointment with your MG Dealership so that this can be addressed.

Yours sincerely

Gary Smart

I pointed MG UK at this forum and suggested they might like to post. Breath not being held though.

Fluff

Did you suggest they tell their dealers as none of them seem to know how to do it?

Do they charge you to carry this out if it was due to the the infotainment system being factory reset?

They certainly shouldn't.
The factory reset function is openly available to the user and there are no warnings that anything irrevocable will happen if you use it. I used it when the approved SatNav map update process was followed and it bricked the entire SatNav function on my car!
My dealer has looked at it under warranty more than once but they don't have a clue what to do. They claim that MG don't know how to do this either but the chance of this being true is somewhat remote.

This now in on the subject from MG UK It was prompted by Rocky ZhangHaiqi of SAIC China forwarding my direct email to them, to MG UK as below.

Date: Tuesday, 23 August 2022 at 03:50
To: CallCentre MGUK <[email protected]>
Cc: James QiJianming 祁建铭 <[email protected]>
Subject: MG5 SW, 2020 Standard Range Info Centre and dashboard cluster temperature display units.

Dear Jody,

We received UK complaint, please arrange to feedback to UK AS team to follow it. Thank you

Best Regards,

张海奇 Rocky Zhang

Aftersales Service Department

SAIC MOTOR International Co., Ltd.

Address: No.2119, Zhang Yang Rd., Pudong, Shanghai 200135, P.R.China.
Tel: 86-13955370781

The resulting message to me from MG UK is:

Thank you for your further correspondence and I hope that this email finds you well.

My colleague Gary is on annual leave currently, so I hope that you don’t mind that I come back to you in the meantime.

Gary is correct that there is no facility to change this within the vehicle’s functionality and unfortunately, MG dealerships may not be able to change this at present.

This is because the method to change this is imbedded [sic] in the vehicles FICM software and if incorrectly completed, can cause severe issues with the vehicle or a complete shut down.

We are aware of this issue and are seeking an easier resolve that does not carry such high risks if completed incorrectly.

Unfortunately, I can only ask for your patience while our engineering & technical teams in the UK and China liaise to find a solution.

In the meantime, please could you confirm your vehicle registration and I will create a case and come back to you when there is more information to provide?

Thanks again for your email Mr Fluff and kindest regards,

Ella

I've gone back with my VRM, so we'll see what transpires.

I still reckon its a flustercuck that there's no menu option for a simple change like that. Mind you, given the roof rail certification debacle, there's some unfortunate provenance.

More as and when (if) I hear it.

Fluffykins

Last edited:
Same thing happened with me. The satnav locked up completely so I had to do a factory rest. Now have Celsius on the infotainment system and Fahrenheit on the main display.
Perhaps looking at this from a different point of view may help.
I would quite like to have C on one and F on the other, I am of an age where 80f is getting bloomin hot, and much more meaningfull than 27c. You can also pretend that you are carrying out the calc in your head if you are feeling smarmy..... why, shouldnt every car should have this function? :unsure::giggle::unsure:

This is a very telling response.
This is because the method to change this is imbedded [sic] in the vehicles FICM software and if incorrectly completed, can cause severe issues with the vehicle or a complete shut down.

We are aware of this issue and are seeking an easier resolve that does not carry such high risks if completed incorrectly.
They don't seem to be saying it can't be done, just that it can only be done by someone with a level of competence they don't possess. Why on earth is the default assumption that it would be done incorrectly?

They don't seem to be saying it can't be done, just that it can only be done by someone with a level of competence they don't possess. Why on earth is the default assumption that it would be done incorrectly?
I would hazard a guess that the current tools access config changes at a very basic level, where multiple, very sensitive parameters are also available - think VW and using VDCS parameter manipulation. Yes, that tool has leaked out in various forms but the implications of getting something wrong are bad and possibly irrecoverable.
Here there be dragons.
It needs to be something tucked into a simple menu system.

Mind you, if you think you've made something idiot proof, the world just shrugs and sends along a better idiot.

Because it can be, and it only needs to be done wrong once to brick a whole car with massive expense inconvenience and publicity.

Seems to me the most pragmatic answer would be to have a stock of correctly programmed units and do a straight swap.

That's a lot of money to have tied up on the shelf.

Y'know what'd be REALLY nice? The ability to rip and replace the Infotainment unit with something faster and maybe on a stock Android base.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom