Changing rims wheels for a lighter model.

sbasstbone

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi.

I'm Santi from Spain. Since 3 days ago the happy owner of a MG4 Luxury (model 22) .z

I'm thinking about change the rims for a 18" model lighter than but I don't know the weight of the actual rims. The Autec Wizard rim is an interesting model.

Some knows the actual weight of the original rims?

Thanks

Sorry, but it doesn't look like it. The wheel rims can vary between each country.
Why not weigh one of you wheels?
And to be honest unless you are going to use the car for track days the weight difference will make very little difference in day to day driving.

I don't care about behaviour of car but efficiency. This kind of weight in the wheels affect as 10 times the same weight in the car body. Not only the weight itself but inercia movements and so...

I don't know how much affect this kind of aeroplates covering the rims but I suposse not so much as the weight could affect.

Could be a improvement or maybe not.

Driving style will have a greater effect on efficiency than the weight of the wheels. Good anticipation to reduce braking and acceleration together with keeping the speed down to 60 mph (96km/h) on motorways.
I can understand trying to get the best efficiency if your into hyper mile-ing but not for moneytary reasons. How many kilometres would you have to do to get your money back from replacing the wheels and tyres?

Last edited:
The difference between different wheel weights on the efficiency of the car is going to be extremely small. The car weighs ~1700kg. A few kg difference between different wheels is basically irrelevant.

Buy some 18in wheels that you like the look of. Forget about the weight.

I don't care about behaviour of car but efficiency. This kind of weight in the wheels affect as 10 times the same weight in the car body. Not only the weight itself but inercia movements and so...

I don't know how much affect this kind of aeroplates covering the rims but I suposse not so much as the weight could affect.

Could be a improvement or maybe not.
It's going to take you years to offset the cost of new wheels against the efficiency saving.

You are thinking about general weight and the direct relation between them. But it doesn't work like that. Unsuspended weight affect x4, even more if we take the inertia, were experts are talking about x10 its weight. It's why track cars needs those rims.

And @olliewebb , I don't know the catalogue in UK, but in Spain the are not relevant differences between trim levels (in aesthetics). On luxury it adds rear spoilers, and Xpower the wheels and brakes. Nothing more.

And @olliewebb , I don't know the catalogue in UK, but in Spain the are not relevant differences between trim levels (in aesthetics). On luxury it adds rear spoilers, and Xpower the wheels and brakes. Nothing more.
XPower has bigger wheels, tacky brake covers, black roof, mirrors, and trim. And then seats that aren't awful and made of material from a 1990s car.

I have the same reading comprehension issue then ;) - your post came across as overwhelmingly negative about it. 🤷‍♂️

I have the same reading comprehension issue then ;) - your post came across as overwhelmingly negative about it. 🤷‍♂️
Nah it's fine. I could not live with the seat material on the other models though. I touched them in the dealership and couldn't believe how awful it was. I've had base model super mini class French cars from the late 90s that way better materials. The XPower ones are okay though.

Calliper covers are bloody awful though and like I said, very tacky/chintzy. Given the price difference compared to the billy-basic one I would expect proper 4-pots on the front. But we'll see after a few thousand miles what they're like.

Last edited:
I think same about callipers
I am awaiting a White XPower and want it as a sleeper: so I will remove these callipers ... or will have them painted in grey/black.

As long as they don't do what every other car maker does and make an 'XPower line or X Sport' bs trim level.

Wow a Polo R-Line with a 1.0 for £24k! Or a 318d M-Sport (what sport? Over 80s bowls?), URGH! No thanks! Go the opposite way and keep them low-key, keep things classy. Diluting the high models cheapens the brand.

Last edited:

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 520 79.1%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 89 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 48 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel