Changing tires on lift?

2of3

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Apologies if this question has been asked and answered before.

I'm a bit of a lazy sod when it comes to changing my tires seasonally. Luckily there are places you can go to get them changed and I don't mind paying someone to do it for me.

My question is this: These places usually place your car on a lift when they preform the tire change. Is there a chance that they can ruin the battery pack when they do this? I have looked under the car to see where one would put a jack and to me it looks like the battery pack rides lower than the jack "edge"

Should I take a chance or should I break down and just change the tires myself?

Make them aware of the battery location. Any competent workshop should be able to put the car on a lift without damaging the battery. MG dealers do it every day.

Not sure if it's helpful or useful, but UK cars come with an "emergency card" that shows various parts of the car. Without looking, I think it showed the battery location so if you have this, showing it might be of use as well as pointing things out as has been said.

Yes - I was thinking the same...

I had one in the Prius, but not in the ZS or SWMBO's 5.

Emergency card ?
:unsure:

Came with the manual, there's an A4 card that you're supposed to keep in the car and hand to emergency services (If you can) in the event of an accident. Again, I don't have it with me but it highlights potentially dodgy areas of the car - from memory some circuitry, airbags and I think the battery.

Came with the manual, there's an A4 card that you're supposed to keep in the car and hand to emergency services (If you can) in the event of an accident. Again, I don't have it with me but it highlights potentially dodgy areas of the car - from memory some circuitry, airbags and I think the battery.
I got one with mine too. Also showed all high voltage areas that could be potentially dangerous in case of damage.

Found it, tucked in behind the manuals, I must have seen it when I first got the car but forgot all about it. (y)

Did you flip the tyres or the wheels and tyres ?.
How did the TPMS react to the change over ?.
The car was delivered to the dealership with summer tires. I had purchased winter tires as part of the package along with tinting and rubber mats etc. Before I picked up the car, I had asked them to change to the winter tires (it was December) so that it didn't be the first thing I had to do once getting it home.

When I packed out the summer tires, they were marked with front left, front right and so on. I just put them where they were "supposed" to be since there wouldn't be any significant wear on the barely used tires. I transferred the labels to the winter tires as I took them off.

No messages or warnings have come up since changing. I did notice that the car reported bar was at 2.5-2.6 (manual says 2.3 is what it should be), but I'm not sure how accurate the monitoring system is.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom