Charge Cable for trips

Calm as

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi, we got our MG4 51Kw rig in White. Very Happy with the car so far.

These questions might be more specific to Australia.

In the car we received the plugin 240volt home charger but when I started to look for charging stations in the Chargefox app there seems to be a lot of charging stations that require you to have your own Type2 or CCS2 cable?

For Australians is there a better app? or are people using multiple apps etc?

We are going to travel from Brisbane to Coffs Harbor and was wondering if there is any advise on if I need the cable? and which or both etc.

I have the ZS EV, i live in Perth and in 16,000kms of driving have not yet needed to plug it into a public charging station. We bought a 15amp plug in charger from ebay and that seems to be enough for our charging needs.

There are various charging station providers, each one you have to download a different app, put in your credit card details. I've signed up to all the apps and carry a 22kw cable just incase.

I also have plugshare, ampcharge, chargepoint, upcharge & EO app.

You won't need a CCS2 cable as all the rapid chargers (50 kW and over) have them tethered. It's worth having a Type 2 cable as many of the 7 to 22 kW chargers require you to have your own.

On your trip to Coffs Harbour there are plenty of 50-150 kW chargers on the Gold Coast then in NSW at Byron Bay (a free one courtesy of NRMA), Ballina, Tyndale, Grafton (free NRMA) and Coffs and you don't need a cable for any of them.

Unfortunately you will need multiple apps but the majority of chargers are Chargefox or Evie. The Plugshare app is good to have as it shows which chargers are in use and working.

Last edited:
Thanks @pollenface and @ChrisR for the info.

I see Supercheap have charging cables... They have a 32 Amp single phase at 7.2kW or a 3-Phase Type 2 Inlet To Type 2 Outlet

I assume the Bigger 3 phase Type 2?

FYI looks like Bunnings do as well.

Thanks @pollenface and @ChrisR for the info.

I see Supercheap have charging cables... They have a 32 Amp single phase at 7.2kW or a 3-Phase Type 2 Inlet To Type 2 Outlet

I assume the Bigger 3 phase Type 2?

FYI looks like Bunnings do as well.
The MG4 51 can only do AC charging at 6.6 kW so the 7,2 kW single phase should be fine.

I got mine from here

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 534 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel