Charge whilst unlocked without bms update

Mg5man

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Picked up a new zs ev early january. Car 100% not had bms update but had comfort 2 update. Bms update was pulled before I bought my car. Dealer definitely didnt do a bms update. I can charge whilst unlocked, charges to 456 volts and today I managed 152 miles steady driving part motorway with gentle heat. Only thing is car takes 2 hours to balance.
What's going on here, I'm think I'm very fortunate to get these figures. But what about charging whilst unlocked is that from an earlier update from the factory. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

It will have the July/August BMS update. That 2 hours to balance will increase as time goes on.

I also have comfort2, the update was made on September 5th. The voltage is 456V, and balancing is now already 3 hours and 10 minutes, and before it was 1.5 hours.

Just charged to 100%
Started balancing at 7pm
Drawing nearly 2kw whilst balancing. Will report back with length of balance and how many kilowatts it takes.
7.12pm drawing 1.5 kw.

Just charged to 100%
Started balancing at 7pm
Drawing nearly 2kw whilst balancing. Will report back with length of balance and how many kilowatts it takes.
7.12pm drawing 1.5 kw.
Similar story here.
BMS updated this morning.

Balance charging started around 3 hours ago.

Display on cable shows 1.3A around 300W.
(Using ohme cable and cannot see technical details like the current in the app).

Similar story here.
BMS updated this morning.

Balance charging started around 3 hours ago.

Display on cable shows 1.3A around 300W.
(Using ohme cable and cannot see technical details like the current in the app).
That is both concerning and disappointing news at the same time.
2 hours is too long, would you not agree ?.

I think it's going to take 5 hours costing a fortune to charge it's now consuming 600 watts

I was never able to charge unlocked before, after the latest BMS update yesterday my car now charges unlocked. Unfortunately despite the Pod Point charger also locking the cable it wouldn't charge unless the car was locked.

Picked up a new zs ev early january. Car 100% not had bms update but had comfort 2 update. Bms update was pulled before I bought my car. Dealer definitely didnt do a bms update. I can charge whilst unlocked, charges to 456 volts and today I managed 152 miles steady driving part motorway with gentle heat. Only thing is car takes 2 hours to balance.
What's going on here, I'm think I'm very fortunate to get these figures. But what about charging whilst unlocked is that from an earlier update from the factory. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
See my thread where I'm trying to put together the list of updates, you'll see where your car fitted in I think and what updates you had etc

I was never able to charge unlocked before, after the latest BMS update yesterday my car now charges unlocked. Unfortunately despite the Pod Point charger also locking the cable it wouldn't charge unless the car was locked.
You never had the 07/2020 (SA015) BMS 2 update did you - that was just after the comfort pack was released. This one enabled the AC changing unlocked I believe.
As your car's now been for the "15/1/2021 BMS 4" update, it will have had all of the various ECUs brought up to date, which will have included the AC charge unlock feature.

If only we had a list of all of the ECUs in the car and, version numbers for each....

You never had the 07/2020 (SA015) BMS 2 update did you - that was just after the comfort pack was released. This one enabled the AC changing unlocked I believe.
As your car's now been for the "15/1/2021 BMS 4" update, it will have had all of the various ECUs brought up to date, which will have included the AC charge unlock feature.

If only we had a list of all of the ECUs in the car and, version numbers for each....
My car should have had the buggy software fitted as I requested the BMS update when I ordered in December. For whatever reason it wasn't done.

Since I've had the newest BMS my voltage has dropped to 450 fully charged but my range has stayed the same.

My car has not had the latest bms update, it's only ever had comfort 2 after leaving the factory. I asked for it at pdi but mg had prevented dealers from installing it due to complaints. Comfort 2 done at dealership not the factory.

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom