Charge whilst unlocked without bms update

My car should have had the buggy software fitted as I requested the BMS update when I ordered in December. For whatever reason it wasn't done.

Since I've had the newest BMS my voltage has dropped to 450 fully charged but my range has stayed the same.
I wonder if that update had been withdrawn (as they'd discovered the bug) before your car was updated, that would explain why it wasn't applied then.

I'm checking all the forum posts every day, and so far I think everyone that has had the 15/1 BMS 4 update, has got a max of 450v. After a couple more weeks and more charges done by people, we'll probably know for definite if 450v is the new max and target voltage to achieve.

If you read the original post its all explained.
Comfort 2 update nothing else.

I reckon MG is using UK as beta testers, and there are probably several versions of the same update that have different effects.

Last edited:
My car has not had the latest update, it's only ever had comfort 2 after leaving the factory.
I'd guess.....
Your car had the comfort update at time of manufacture, along with the 07/2020 (SA015) BMS 2 update.
It would be hard to guess whether or not it was manufactured after 24/10/2020 BMS 3 update was released/pulled, so to identify if it had this update too.

Either way, you will need the latest 15/1 BMS 4 update, to fix balancing problem in BMS2&3.

Similar story here.
BMS updated this morning.

Balance charging started around 3 hours ago.

Display on cable shows 1.3A around 300W.
(Using ohme cable and cannot see technical details like the current in the app)
Your battery probably won't now get back to properly 100% balanced condition until you have done a load of AC charges. That's what has been said has to be done.
Unfortunately, just going to take a whilst until you've used it and AC charged quite a few times.

Comfort 2 update done at dealership before handover bms update pulled.

I'm confused, I thought you said you said you only got your new car early this month?
Surely if that it the case it was manufactured after the comfort pack 2 came about, so would have come from the factory with it already installed?

I'm picking mine up on Tuesday, was pre-registered in Dec 2020. So I'm assuming mine will have come out of the factory already with comfort pack 2 & 07/2020 (SA015) BMS 2 installed.....

I'm confused, I thought you said you said you only got your new car early this month?
Surely if that it the case it was manufactured after the comfort pack 2 came about, so would have come from the factory with it already installed?

I'm picking mine up on Tuesday, was pre-registered in Dec 2020. So I'm assuming mine will have come out of the factory already with comfort pack 2 & 07/2020 (SA015) BMS 2 installed.....
Just because it was registered a month or two ago doesn’t mean it was manufactured recently.

It did not come from the factory with comfort 2 update. They absolutely did not do bms update as it was pulled by mg. These are facts.

It is my understanding that "Comfort 2" updates that where applied by the dealer's PRIOR to the 24th October 2020 are NOT affected by the "Buggy" software update.
Any "Comfort 2" updates applied after this date, are now very likely to want the latest BMS update released on the 15.01.2021.
Remember, we are only talking about the "Comfort 2" update here, not any of the other two BMS updates that can also affect your car. in the same way.
Warnings sign's that you may have the BMS "Buggy" software are, heavy battery consumption of your reported range and the premature low battery range warning message when you still have about 50 miles of range left on the GOM.
Also, a figure of only 430 - 433 volts displayed on your HV pack after a full charge and balance when everything is turned off.
And very long battery balancing times of anything up to 6 - 7 hours !.
I would suggest that if your car does not display any of these symptoms, then relax it is unlikely that you have a problem.

Similar story here.
BMS updated this morning.

Balance charging started around 3 hours ago.

Display on cable shows 1.3A around 300W.
(Using ohme cable and cannot see technical details like the current in the app).
Never saw balancing finish as Ohme schedule ran out.
The solid light still on 6 hours after full charge.

Checking this morning and in E mode range was 178 and voltage was 450.
(162 and 449v in N mode).

I had not expected it to be too far out as effectively had the car less than 4 weeks and around 400 miles.
20210130_094826.jpg

This looks in line with the new normal people are reporting.

Just wish I could do a bit more driving.

It did not come from the factory with comfort 2 update. They absolutely did not do bms update as it was pulled by mg. These are facts.
I was assuming The car must’ve left
I assumed the cars were sold pretty quickly after they left the factory, I’ve seen something about 2months via a slow boat from China before they’re ready to be sold.
Maybe mine that I’m picking up on Tuesday registered 12/2020, will have been made a long time ago too.
I wonder if that means we need the 08/2020 (SA017) High Voltage fuse repair then???

If you can charge on AC unlocked, then you must’ve had the 07/2020 (SA015) BMS 2 update applied when they did the comfort pack update.
It’s not a massive problem like if you’ve had BMS3 update, but you will have the long balancing time bug that was introduced in BMS2. Which should be fixed by having the 15/1 BMS4 update.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom