chargeplace scotland app - worst software ever or is it just me?

Update... Returned to my car to find out hasn't charged even though I followed everything correctly as far as I could see. Need to try this again tomorrow to follow it through one more time. It reportedly started to charge. All I did was lock the car and walk away for two hours.

Update... Returned to my car to find out hasn't charged even though I followed everything correctly as far as I could see. Need to try this again tomorrow to follow it through one more time. It reportedly started to charge. All I did was lock the car and walk away for two hours.

You can check the charging progress using the iSMART application when you are away from the car.

I've installed the app but will have to wait probably till Monday to complete registration as it says try later.
I think you may be getting your wires crossed here ismart is app for car MK2 I think you're talking about charge Scotland app?

Is the car definitely starting the charge? There are two ways to physically check - the driver display (which usually tells you your speed) and the white led lights in the MG badge, which start pulsing.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-31-05-39-48-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-31-05-39-48-03_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    304.8 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_2022-07-31-05-36-16-77_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-31-05-36-16-77_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg
    243.9 KB · Views: 78
Is the driver display visible from the outside. I have noticed that unlocking the car stops the charge. Can't say that I noticed any LEDs pulsing.

I suppose the question I should have asked first is... How do you all charge yours from the 22kWh. Step by step please..

Is the driver display visible from the outside. I have noticed that unlocking the car stops the charge. Can't say that I noticed any LEDs pulsing.
Yes if you peer through the driver door window... It also comes on for a couple of minutes if, for example, you open the boot and then close it again.

The 1st gen ZS had a software update to allow it to charge with the doors unlocked so your car might need the BMS updating if unlocking is stopping the charge.
The ZS will charge at a maximum of 7kw on a type 2 fast charger (top charging port only) so even if it says 22kw on the machine you won't ever get that.

New user here. Hi. So far the app has worked for me. The zoom is a pain but I have found it the most convenient to start a charge and keep an eye on how many KW the car has charged in active session. A question for the experienced…. Should the car show how long is remaining before the car is fully charged? I have what looks like a clock/timer but 4 blank lines when charging? Cars into MG on monday for a tpms and I am going to ask if the bms updates have been done. Ta

New user here. Hi. So far the app has worked for me. The zoom is a pain but I have found it the most convenient to start a charge and keep an eye on how many KW the car has charged in active session. A question for the experienced…. Should the car show how long is remaining before the car is fully charged? I have what looks like a clock/timer but 4 blank lines when charging? Cars into MG on monday for a tpms and I am going to ask if the bms updates have been done. Ta
The iSMART Application gives finish time :)

33C114BB-3106-4C78-9CEE-655C0DD417F8.jpeg

If you wait, the four dashes should be replaced by an estimated charging time when fast charging (up to 7kw). From memory, I don't think it displays a time if you are rapid charging with CCS. 👍
That would make sense. Photo was of a rapid charge session. Thanks for the reply

Just picked up my ZS EV today (fortunately fully charged) and loving it.

But now I'm thinking about what happens when it needs recharged.

I signed up to chargeplace Scotland on the 11th August, requesting an RFID card but the card has not shown up yet. I've downloaded the app on my phone - a Huawei P20 lite (8 core ARM). This claims that I can start a charging session from the app, but the software appears to be an ergonomic disaster on a truly epic scale.

By profession I design and manage complex software systems - so I don't think my failures so far reflect a lack of understanding on my part - but I would be happy to be proved wrong.

Every time I open the map, it shows an area of around 3000 km2. I need to manually zoom to my current location to have any hope of identifying a nearby charger.
View attachment 4599

If I close the app and go back, the zoom has reset. Pressing the re-centre button also resets the zoom. The manual zoom is not without issue either - although my phone is fast enough for all the other apps I use, it gets confused when its trying to render the map at the same time I'm still zooming and mis-interprets the touch gestures as pan/scroll so when the rendering eventually catches up with a backlog of events it is drawing a region a hundred miles away from where I intended to be.

Still, at least if I have already found a charger, then all I need to do is type in its number in the "Find a charger" text box?

Unfortunately no. While selecting this does indeed open up a keyboard, nothing I type appears in the text box.

The website on my mobile phone, defaults to a view of approx 4km2, far more usable, and the pan/zoom does not display the same horrendous lag. But I can't find any way to start a charging session from there.

Is anyone else using the app? Successfully? Is there a way to set the default zoom? Can you start charging from the website?
How did you manage ve to load the app on the Huawei phone? I tried playstore but I get a message saying device not registered for Playstore.

I agree that the app is a little cumbersome (I too have had my share of working with software in my jobs). It would have been a huge help if the instructions are spot on but... When I tried my first charge a few months ago I had to call services and the first thing the guy said was disconnect the car. Unfortunately the instructions don't say to leave the car unplugged till the charge point says to plug it in. Anyway I had no trouble with the software after that but since the RFID card arrived (7 days or so) I've used nothing else. Again, plug the cable into the car first and just have it ready to connect to the charge point - unless using a rapid charger with it's own cable.
When I'm using the app it zooms to my area with approximately 30 miles all around. If I enter a location it zooms to that location with surrounding chargers within about 10 miles.
If I type in a charge point code it shows me exactly where it is.
No, I have no real issues with the software version 3.1.9.
Hope things get easier for you.
What I and others are finding more than anything is the gross lack of maintenance. It is shocking. The recent TV report where the transport minister was involved showed the terrible algorithm being used to extract how reliable the charge points are. It's small wonder there are so many in disrepair. That will hopefully get sorted out soon as we all hope it does.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have the app, but with knowledge of other apps, have spotted a little compass symbol in the bottom right corner of the screen shown. With other apps pressing this zooms in on your location (provided you have given the app permission to use your location).
Also usually the text box for find a charger usually requires a location, e.g. Falkirk, not a charger id.

Maybe someone who has the app will be of more help.
My chargeplace app does exactly what you said, by pressing the compass symbol it takes you to your position

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom