ChargePlace Scotland overstay fees

omega22

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I recently had a £30 overstay fee applied to my account for being plugged into an AC charger for over an hour. Here is my email and response from them.
Subject: Appeal against over limit charge
Message: I appeal for you to repeal the overlimit charge of £30 applied to my account for overstaying while plugged into an AC today. I thought this was just applied to fast chargers as an hour on an AC charge would only get me a few miles. The fast charge in this location didn’t work for me today so I needed to overstay in order to get to my destination.
Response:
Thank you for getting in touch with us.
The charges and overstay fee applies to the actual unit and not the plug, so it does not matter if it was an AC or DC, it applies to the unit.
Sorry if this is not the news you wish to hear.
My further response:
Thank you for your prompt response. So effectively this policy means no-one will use the AC point on any ChargePlace Scotland charger because in an hour you can’t get enough charge to go anywhere.
I still feel that since this is such a major change to the network there should be a bit of leeway at the start and that you could have refunded me the £30 on this occasion. In this cost of living crisis it is a bit like being fined for speeding. I will be looking to drastically reduce my use of ChargePlace Scotland units in future by installing a home charger.
Any thoughts?

The "Rapid" in Duns had a 45minute overstay penalty, but said "Rapid" was only something like a 25 or 30KW unit which wasn't the most useful.

Most of the ones i've seen with overstay fees tend to be something like 45-90Mins on the Rapids and at least a couple hours on the A/C posts.

I guess using the A/C output on the rapid would share the same time limit as the DC outputs, It's really meant for Zoes.

I checked their website and found this;

"The following charge point owners have taken the decision to introduce or update their charging tariff to ensure their charging estate can be maintained, remain accessible and financially sustainable. Allowing continued investment in line with the growth of the network.

These new tariffs will be in effect from 1st April 2023. We advise drivers to check via local signage, the CPS website map and tariff list before connecting to avoid any unexpected charges.

Please also refer to any local parking restrictions which may be in place."

Was the signage clearly displayed and was it clearly stated on the website? If the local signs at the chargers and the website mention the £30 overstay fee, then I'm afraid they've got you.

The overstay fee is not Chargeplace Scotland's but the charger owner's, the council or private company.

Highland chargers have a 45 minute limit with 15 mins grace, after which it's £1 per minute up to £30.

/Edit applies to rapid chargers only, 7kw chargers have no overstay charge.

Last edited:
The £30 overstay charge was immediately added on the day to my ChargePlace Scotland account. Nice arrangement if you are the charger owners.

Yes Gadget Geek I know I’m screwed. Own fault. There was a sticker on the charger. I just thought I might get away with being on the AC but no. Because they know electronically exactly how long you’ve been on it I reckon there will be no leeway. You’ll be charged the overstay fee if you’re 1 second over the hour.

I recently had a £30 overstay fee applied to my account for being plugged into an AC charger for over an hour. Here is my email and response from them.
Subject: Appeal against over limit charge
Message: I appeal for you to repeal the overlimit charge of £30 applied to my account for overstaying while plugged into an AC today. I thought this was just applied to fast chargers as an hour on an AC charge would only get me a few miles. The fast charge in this location didn’t work for me today so I needed to overstay in order to get to my destination.
Response:
Thank you for getting in touch with us.
The charges and overstay fee applies to the actual unit and not the plug, so it does not matter if it was an AC or DC, it applies to the unit.
Sorry if this is not the news you wish to hear.
My further response:
Thank you for your prompt response. So effectively this policy means no-one will use the AC point on any ChargePlace Scotland charger because in an hour you can’t get enough charge to go anywhere.
I still feel that since this is such a major change to the network there should be a bit of leeway at the start and that you could have refunded me the £30 on this occasion. In this cost of living crisis it is a bit like being fined for speeding. I will be looking to drastically reduce my use of ChargePlace Scotland units in future by installing a home charger.
Any thoughts?
I feel for you as that is definitely a bit harsh on the AC connection.
As an aside and probably not relevant to the email chat you had with them, as they obviously knew what you meant, but the AC is the 'fast' charger, the DC the 'Rapid' Sometimes the correct terminology can help in explaining and understanding.

This is their latest response.
Thank you for getting back to us.

Although I can sympathise with your situation we are not at liberty to refund or waive any charges incurred. The owners of the unit are the arbiters for their fees & overstay charges that they place on their machines, Chargeplace Scotland cannot take partial payment, waive, or refund any part unless this has been authorised by them.

If they agreed to this, they would contact us directly to advise following any investigation and verdict.

You will note that they haven’t told me who the owners are. Have to check with the council.

Can you not challenge this as you would a 'normal' parking ticket. Just a thought. I have no prior knowledge.

It doesn’t seem as if you can. You stay over an hour your guilty £30 fine. Invoiced to you at the end of the month.

It doesn’t seem as if you can. You stay over an hour your guilty £30 fine. Invoiced to you at the end of the month.
Thanks. In that case I think I would be arguing (to whoever has some semblance of responsibility) that 60 minute limit entices the user to incur an overstay charge and as such it is an unreasonable condition of using this charger. If your payment is via credit/debit card I'd also open a chargeback case.

For info, if it's a Chargeplace Scotland charger the app or website will have details of all charges that apply. There will most likely have been a sticker/decal saying something like "Tarriffs apply" and a bar code as well. As such it's highly unlikely that you'll be able to get any kind of refund from the owner and you'll be wasting more of your time and resources that it's worth, though I do agree that a one hour limit on a 7kw charger is extracting the urine.
Do you have the charge point number still? I wouldn't mind finding out where it is so I can avoid in future.

Looking at the CPS website, they don't actually clarify if this is a parking overstay charge or being connected to the charger overstay charge. I remember something about charges having to be reasonable and proportionate. £30 charge for something that cost around 75 pence an hour is definately not reasonable or proportionate. I would enquire what costs they have incurred which justifies such a high charge.

I've used that one before, kind of a weird shaped little car park iirc.

Looked it up on the map and it does mention the overstay fee. (

hanover.jpg

Looking at the CPS website, they don't actually clarify if this is a parking overstay charge or being connected to the charger overstay charge. I remember something about charges having to be reasonable and proportionate. £30 charge for something that cost around 75 pence an hour is definately not reasonable or proportionate. I would enquire what costs they have incurred which justifies such a high charge.
I'd imagine it's classed as a contractual Claus of business by initiation of the charge youre agreeing to the overstay fee.

Opposed to a fine for an infringement

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom