Charger Cable Unlock failed

Eddie A

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 Trophy LR
Hi, had a quick search but haven't seen a thread that deals with this issue.

Last night, my Trophy was plugged in to my Ohme charger, which is set to charge in the off peak hours 11:30 to 05:30 - for some unknown reason, the trip switch on the charger tripped off after about 15 minutes, but I was already asleep so didn't find out until this morning. This has been an ongoing issue, and Octopus are visiting this week to hopefully fix it.

I had a second problem, though - the charging cable was locked, and no amount to pressing the Unlock button on the screen would release it. On the app, it just said "failed" when I tried the unlock idon there. I switched the charger on and off for ten minutes, no change, I was still tethered to my house. In the end, I pulled out the manual release cable and thankfully that freed me.

Anyone else had this? Any ideas why it happened?

Thanks
Eddie

Charger tripping, was there any other load on the system at the time? If it trips again I suggest you connect the installer.

I’ve had cables that wouldn’t come out on public fast chargers, locking and locking the car a number of times final released the cable.

Very little else would have been on, we'd gone to bed so a couple of clock radios, maybe a light or two. It's been like this for a while, but fine for the past two weeks, I've got an engineer booked for Friday, hopefully he'll put a less-anxious trip switch in.

Octopus electrician waved his magic wand, and found a setting in the Ohme box that was allowing the car to try to draw more current than the charger was allowed to - or something like that - which meant the clamp on my fusebox incoming lead was registering more current than was allowed, so tripping the charger out. Anyway, he turned said setting down a shade and I got a 60% top-up (from 20% to 80%) in the time allowed overnight on Friday with no issues, charger lead unplugged too with no fuss in the morning - so hopefully that's the end of my charging woes.

Are you enjoying your MG4?

• Yes

Votes: 532 79.3%
  • I'm in the middle

Votes: 90 13.4%
  • No

Votes: 49 7.3%
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back