charger help - what happened?

Yellowelise

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
Not an MG
Hi all

Any one else had their granny charger moulded plug melt down?

Have had our ZS LR since April
Almost exclusively granny charger charged (1, 20 min rapid chrge in July).
Never used an extension, have socket in porch direct out to car.
Got stuck in a motorway jam on Thursday and ended up getting home with 7% battery left.
plugged in as bormal left plugged in all night and day, went to take off plug around midday but it wouldn't come out of socket.
hubby couldn't get it out either so off goes electric and socket faceplate.
photos show the plug overheated a pin and melted!!

did not short the fuse
car fully charged and giving 313 miles range.

Anyone else had this?
Ideas as to what happened?
also can I cut the cable and put a non moulded 3 pin plug on

20231104_121908.jpg
20231104_121949.jpg

I'm guessing the contacts in the faceplate widened out over time with use and no longer made good contact, then you got some arcing that melted your plug pin.

Upvote 0
Yes especially if child protector have been used, loose wiring contacts in the socket or fuse clips in the plug aren’t tight leading to overheating.

Upvote 0
If one checks for heat in the plug periodically, and there is none evident, how likely is it that something will blow up with no warning?
Unlikely TBH.
Depending on your usage pattern, I would suggest that about once every month or so (when the car has been on charge for a good few hours) place the back of your hand on the back cover of the three pin plug.
It is normal for it to become warm to the touch, but if it is hot then this indicates there is a possible problem developing.
As part of your periodical checks, when the socket has cooled right down, try removing the three pin plug from the socket outlet.
Do you need to use a LOT of force / effort in order to remove it from the outlet ?.
Is there ANY evidence of brown staining to ANY of the pins ( likely to be evident on the live or neutral pins ) or on the white oblong face plate entry slots of the socket outlet ?.
If so, these are early signs that excessive heat is being generated and further investigations should be carried out ASAP.
I did notice as part of my regular checks, that LIVE side of the socket outlet and the LIVE pin of the three pin plug became the warmest points of course, as this is carrier for the in-line 13 Amp protection fuse.
I did conduct regular checks, as we have an integral garage.
I did have a similar problem at my Mum's house a few years ago now.
A recently installed microwave was in constant use by her care company.
Then after about 9 months, one day the micro wave just stopped working.
I assumed ( incorrectly ) that the microwave had prematurely failed.
When I tried to unplug it from the socket outlet, that was located behind a fridge freezer.
The three pin plug was completely bonded solid into the socket outlet.
I turned off the power at the C.U. and had to prise out the plug out of the socket outlet with a large screw driver.
The house was almost 50 years old and never been rewired, but the line conductors in the cable where fine, strangely enough but the socket outlet itself was totally cooked.
It was only ever used to power the upright fridge / freezer for about 45 years with no issues.
Until the microwave arrived to assist with her needs.
The increased load on a constant daily basis over some time, had found a weakness in the termination terminals in the rear of the outlet.
A change in demand and increased usage, manifested into a problem that was not evident before.
Socket outlet replaced and normality was resumed.
Only going to prove that high demand items are always going to find a weaknesses in an install.
Before we started using high demand items like electric showers / induction hobs and EV wall boxes etc, problems on installs ( especially in older homes ) where fairly uncommon.
One of the benefits of having a wall box fitted on a older system, means that it will be installed to the latest safety standards & regs.
Many people running on an older system worry about having the need to have there house completely rewired in order to accommodate a wall box.
This not always the case.
Wall boxes can be installed by leaving the house wiring completely separate and untouched.
A new suitable standalone C.U. can be supplied from split feed from the meter tails to power the new wall box.
The CPC / Earthing conductors to the water and gas meters made require an upgrade to latest specs ( as did mine on our house that was first built in 1982 ).
Wall boxes are not completely exempt from over heating issues of course, if it's a bad install is carried out or poor quality materials / components are used or loose terminations are discovered of course.

Upvote 0
Thanks, that's all very helpful. My house is less than 30 years old and the wiring seems fine. I have never even felt warmth in the plug, not even after 24 hours on charge, so that's reassuring.

I'm inclined not to take the plug out of the socket any more than I can help, thinking that doing that might increase wear. I do take it out if I'm going on a trip where I want to carry the granny charger.

Upvote 0
Removing the plug periodically does offer a good indication IF any overheating maybe evident of course.
You just have to make a personal call / judgement on this suggestion @Rolfe .
If we consider the damaged caused in the OP's original photo's, then this type of overheating does NOT happen overnight.

Upvote 0
Good point. Thank you.

I'm taking my life in my hands on 23rd December, as I have painted myself into a corner of having to drive beyond the range of my car on a day when every bloody EV in the country has probably decided to take to the road and visit its nearest and dearest. So I will definitely be taking the granny charger that day.

Upvote 0
Hi all

Any one else had their granny charger moulded plug melt down?

Have had our ZS LR since April
Almost exclusively granny charger charged (1, 20 min rapid chrge in July).
Never used an extension, have socket in porch direct out to car.
Got stuck in a motorway jam on Thursday and ended up getting home with 7% battery left.
plugged in as bormal left plugged in all night and day, went to take off plug around midday but it wouldn't come out of socket.
hubby couldn't get it out either so off goes electric and socket faceplate.
photos show the plug overheated a pin and melted!!

did not short the fuse
car fully charged and giving 313 miles range.

Anyone else had this?
Ideas as to what happened?
also can I cut the cable and put a non moulded 3 pin plug on

View attachment 21354View attachment 21355
I very nearly made this mistake, but luckily I learned in-time that typical so called 13A sockets aren't good for supplying 10A for long periods. I ended up purchasing a granny charger that offers charging rates 6, 8, 10, 13 & 16A. I bought mine from evconnectors.com
I charged at 8A. I now have a Type 2 wall 'charger'.

Upvote 0
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom