Charger Queue Etiquette

Darren D

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
We are new (this week) to the world of EV.
Planning on taking a long trip this weekend and just wondered what happens when all the charging bays are occupied, is there an accepted queuing etiquette?

Interested on views from experienced EV'ers.

Thanks,

Darren

Welcome to the world of EV driving, it's brilliant.

I usually say hello and ask who's in the queue and who's next. If there is no queue but they are all in use, you can ask who is doing a long charge for a road trip or who is doing a splash and dash. It's a great way to meet people and chat about EV's. :)

If all chargers are in use is it ok from an etiquette point of view to park in an adjacent space and go for a coffee? I wouldn’t want to do this as I’d want to protect my place in the queue but wonder what Debrett’s would say.

If all chargers are in use is it ok from an etiquette point of view to park in an adjacent space and go for a coffee? I wouldn’t want to do this as I’d want to protect my place in the queue but wonder what Debrett’s would say.
Debrett's says it's a problem for one's chauffeur to sort out with the plebs.

Pretty annoyed last week when I had to drive to Cardiff to pick up my son. I needed a charge on the way so I planned to stop at a BP Pulse point a couple of miles from his flat ( I use this one on a regular basis because it's quiet ) . Checked the app and it showed someone was charging there. As it was about 40 minutes away I thought it'll be available when I arrived there . When I arrived there was Fiat 500e charging there and had been for 1 hour and 25 minutes standing at 99% charged . I gave it about 5 or 100 minutes , by which time it was 100% charged and still no sign of the driver .
I ended up going into the pub to seek the ignorant moron out .
I really hope that BP pulse applied the 90 minute overstay fee of £10 . I've been to iced charging stations and felt my hackles rise but this guy made me angrier :sick:

Pretty annoyed last week when I had to drive to Cardiff to pick up my son. I needed a charge on the way so I planned to stop at a BP Pulse point a couple of miles from his flat ( I use this one on a regular basis because it's quiet ) . Checked the app and it showed someone was charging there. As it was about 40 minutes away I thought it'll be available when I arrived there . When I arrived there was Fiat 500e charging there and had been for 1 hour and 25 minutes standing at 99% charged . I gave it about 5 or 100 minutes , by which time it was 100% charged and still no sign of the driver .
I ended up going into the pub to seek the ignorant moron out .
I really hope that BP pulse applied the 90 minute overstay fee of £10 . I've been to iced charging stations and felt my hackles rise but this guy made me angrier :sick:
Same thing happened to me at a 50kW Pod-Point at Lidl in Reading. Mini electric at 99% and no sign of the driver.

Cross-referencing with the thread about overstay penalties on ChargePlace Scotland chargers. This is why these penalty charges (which are automatic) are needed. Sometimes they are excessive/oppressive, but in many cases they're the only way of ensuring that someone else can have a go within a reasonable time.

I think over stay charges are a symptom of a problem of not enough chargers for the increasing number of EV's now on the road. As usual, the government come up with these good ideas ( let's ban ICE cars, let's promote heat pumps, etc) and then fail to fund the transition..

Yeah, this was the discussion we were having on the other thread. I can see the logic for the overstay fee on our village charge-point because there is only one charger for the village - only one car can charge at a time, and using any one of the three connectors disables the other two. It's not heavily used, you can usually get on it pretty much any time you like, but if one person decided to hog it for hours then it might as well be broken. There isn't enough demand to justify another charger, the overstay fee just makes sure you get yours and get out, which is what's needed.

If someone was desperately keen to get on the charger next they could park in the other bay (there are two parking places to allow for people to park with their charging port next to the charger) and wait to leap in when the first person disconnected, but I've never seen that happen. (I've only once found the charger to be occupied when I wanted it, and all I did was watch the app until it cleared. Every other time it's either been free when I checked the app, or I've simply rocked up at the end of a long journey and found it sitting empty.)

However the carry-on at Cambridge Street car park is a different issue. Eight type 2 connectors, and I have never seen all of them in use at once, despite checking frequently on the app - I wanted to gauge my chances of getting one when I showed up, and I now realise they are pretty much 100%. When I showed up on Thursday evening, the car park was busy because an opera performance was about to start at the nearby theatre. However all eight spaces were free. As I was getting ready to charge another guy came up and started to charge, but that was it. When I collected the car after the performance there might have been someone else on another one, but no more than that.

These are type 2 chargers, meant to allow people to recharge while they visit the city centre for shopping or entertainment. The most you could get out of one of them in four hours is probably about 40 KWh. The price is 40p per KWh, so you'd be looking at a maximum cost of a four-hour stay of maybe £15-16. (Plus £1 connection fee.) Nevertheless, if you stay on one of these a second more than four hours, you'll have a £40 overstay fee added to your bill. Immediately.

This might be justifiable if the chargers were heavily used and people were arriving to find all eight in use on a regular basis. Except it wouldn't be. This is a massive multi-storey car park in the middle of a big city that is bringing in a low-emissions zone next month. It has hundreds of parking spaces - 812 to be precise. And just eight of these - less than 1% - are equipped with charging capability. If eight are not enough, and if things go the way government wants them to go then eight will not be enough some fine day, then install some more!!

But at the moment the things are mostly standing empty most of the time. This may well be because the average punter who drives into Glasgow for shopping or a meal out or the theatre hasn't come all that far and doesn't need to recharge before going home. (I saw a couple of EVs in ordinary parking places, not charging.) In that situation, what on earth is the incentive to bully your customers into aborting their charge after taking on 40KWh? That £40 penalty is doing nobody any good. It's only making people rush back to their cars to move them away from a charger that nobody else needs or wants, when they could be paying ChargePlace Scotland for another hour or two's electricity. It's a lousy business model.

Last edited:
I guess you're keen to continue to add to your impressive post tally in such a short time of membership, but with the greatest respect you are starting to sound a bit like a cracked record.

Maybe my last word on the subject, maybe not - but it really isn't in the companies interests to "bully" their customers, and I doubt it's their intent to be seen to be doing so. The limits are there solely for the benefit of other potential customers, to prevent hogging. The fact that you might get charged for being a modest amount over a time limit is neither here not there - same as any other e.g. parking. It's just something we have to manage these days.

I don't get why you seem to understand and agree with this in respect of one set of chargers but not another, just because at the current time utilisation doesn't fit your criteria.

I see it as quite a good business model and could see myself using a network which does overstay penalties as my go-to choice as I could be reasonably sure of arriving at a charger which will not be blocked.

I have attempted to explain my reasons. If I have failed to do this to your satisfaction, we'll leave it at that.

(Glutton for punishment here. At its simplest, the single charger is the only one there is, so if it is occupied there's nowhere else to go. Stick the overstay fee on. The multiple chargers are, well, multiple. If one is occupied you still have others to go to. The bank is never fully occupied. The overstay fee is unjustified and counterproductive.)

Last edited:
It's like Marmite, some like it, some hate it, but the company will keep making it regardless.

P.S. It's a good source of vitamin B12. :)

I have attempted to explain my reasons. If I have failed to do this to your satisfaction, we'll leave it at that.

(Glutton for punishment here. At its simplest, the single charger is the only one there is, so if it is occupied there's nowhere else to go. Stick the overstay fee on. The multiple chargers are, well, multiple. If one is occupied you still have others to go to. The bank is never fully occupied. The overstay fee is unjustified and counterproductive.)

I know you're quite new to EV use but you've obviously never seen a bank of chargers all in use... try some of the motorway ones in daytime, rather than a deserted city centre car park at night.

Whether it's one or 10 the principle should be the same, to avoid confusion if nothing else.

I have tried the motorway ones in daytime. My first motorway charge was at Southwaite services on the M6, lunchtime, I was the only EV on the chargers (four connectors) all the time I was there. Checked Killington Lake, again four connectors, one charging.

At Gretna there were 12 AppleGreen connectors and four Gridserve connectors. Maybe half were charging? I couldn't get connected to the AppleGreen charger I first tried, saw a space at a Gridserve one, and just moved there.

Checked Annandale Water and Abington also. At the former there were only Gridserve chargers, can't remember if one or two, but free space was available. There was also a lot of building work next to them, suggesting that AppleGreen is moving in there too. At the latter there were again a couple of Gridserve chargers and eight AppleGreen chargers with 16 connectors. Loads of space.

So that's five motorway service stations checked, in the middle of the day, and I could have got straight in at any one of them no problem. Even Gretna, the busiest, was only about half occupied.

You want Scotland and the north of England to operate as if they were under the same pressure you presumably experience in the south of England. In particular you seem to want ChargePlace Scotland (which operates a lot of chargers to serve small villages and tourist attractions) to play by rules set by motorway conditions in the south of England. You are obviously not going to get consistency, it's all a bit of a wild west out there both as regards prices and general rules like time of stay and overstay fees.

The car park I used in the evening was far from deserted, indeed it was moderately chokka, including a number of EVs in ordinary parking spaces. By the look of it I'd have had to go up two or even three levels to find a space - that's quite usual when there's a performance at the Theatre Royal, as I have found in 50 years of using that car park to attend that theatre. It serves as a shoppers' car park in the daytime, and as an evening-out car park in the evening. As well as two or three theatres close by there are innumerable eateries and other evening attractions, so rocking up at 6.15 on a performance night was hardly aiming for a quiet time. However, I had been checking it frequently on the app to gauge occupancy before I made my first visit, and I have never seen the connectors fully occupied.

Given that consistency ain't going to happen, and is arguably not even desirable given the wildly varying circumstances applying in different places, my argument is for reasonable conditions commensurate with the facilities available locally and the level and type of usage.

Last edited:
A part from the fact that 2 of the 4 chargers were out of action, our first ever charging at a public charger went really well. (Gretna Green) There were 2 cars in the queue, very polite and explained how long they expected to be. 1 guy charged to 80%, left the charger and allowed another car to charge and the went back on and topped up the rest he needed. I feel full of confidence now to explore the open road!

Thank you to everyone's for their tips and comments.

A part from the fact that 2 of the 4 chargers were out of action, our first ever charging at a public charger went really well. (Gretna Green) There were 2 cars in the queue, very polite and explained how long they expected to be. 1 guy charged to 80%, left the charger and allowed another car to charge and the went back on and topped up the rest he needed. I feel full of confidence now to explore the open road!

Thank you to everyone's for their tips and comments.

Which chargers at Gretna Green? When I was there about ten days ago there were (I think) 2 Gridserve chargers with 4 connectors (and one of them broke down mid-charge while I was on it), but there were also six Applegreen chargers with 12 connectors. It was the busiest place I charged at, but even then maybe only half the chargers were occupied. When I couldn't get the AppleGreen charger I tried first to connect I saw a space at a Gridserve charger and was able to move to it immediately. I think someone said there are also some Ionity chargers in a different location in the service area.

My first motorway charge (first public charge not counting the village charger at the end of my street) was at Southwaite, and I was the only EV that used the chargers there the entire time I was there - lunchtime on a Tuesday. I could have done with company when I couldn't figure out how to make the charger let go of my car, but I figured it out in the end. (I had been so slow the charger thought it had a new customer, and I had to re-present my card, feign starting a new session, then abort it. That worked, and it let go.)

While I was on the motorway (M74 and M6) and not in a hurry, I drove into several service stations with no intention of charging, just to figure out where the chargers were and how busy they were. Some were very badly signposted, but most were in the part of the car park nearest the food court. I didn't see a single one that didn't have a connector available, out of the five I investigated.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom