• We are having a problem with new Hotmail members being unable to receive activation emails. Please avoid using a Hotmail email address. Thanks.

Charging across Europe

My MG5 from 2021 is fine, no idea on the MG4 though. Maybe a seperate thread to ask if anyone has a toll tag for the M6 toll or Dartford.
I have a tag on mine that allows me access to my works premises, reads the tag and opens the security gate. Its positioned on the passenger side up near the top of the windscreen, works without any problem.

According to my spreadsheet, who doesn't love data, my MG5 has now done 8191 miles in 5 countries outside of the UK and is 2nd out of 8 in total mileage abroad.

It has been the furthest South & West; longest 1 day trip, and driven the most in 5 of 20 countries that I've driven my own car in.

This summer, my next trip will move the MG5 up the scale in several areas!

Zunder have arrived in France

1708092134028.png

Clear directions from Autoroute to charger, full canopy, 3 charge rates & a petrol station style price list on display! 50 cents a kWh on a rapid, autocharge the lot.

Zunder have arrived in France
That's really interesting to know. I've now looked them up and they certainly have the right approach. Although they seem to have opened that first one back in July '23, they do seem to be actively searching for sites throughout France. In fact that one is not very far (20km west but in the wrong direction) from one of our regular hotels (who have just kindly offered us use of a basic socket for an over-night granny-charge!). I intend to use a Tesla S/C near Rouen before that.

I will definitely keep an eye on Zunder though. They can be used in many ways, but their subscription is rather high for only occasional trips ... unless they only charge for the months used - which isn't clear. Shell Recharge can be used but the price is ramped-up enormously. Electroverse as usual quotes their standard casual use rate - but for some reason doesn't presently list the fast chargers.

Anyone up for a summer trip around Europe this year?

I'm thinking up a playlist . .

Day 1

Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard
Road to Hell by Chris Rea
Going Underground - The Jam

need a song for Walloon, maybe about Chocolate?

Day 1

Summer Holiday by Cliff Richard
Road to Hell by Chris Rea
Going Underground - The Jam

need a song for Walloon, maybe about Chocolate?
Anything from Hot Chocolate?

Anything from Hot Chocolate?
Replace that - Everything by hot chocolate 🤩

Day 1

Bonnie Tyler ... Lost in France ? - but hopefully not on Day I, if you're going in that direction (or any time come to that)!

BTW Had a pretty faultless trip down to SW France three weeks ago. Just one Tesla SC that wouldn't work due to no signal (E of Rouen and in the middle of an industrial estate !!!) Tag worked fine, so no 'silly' glass on my ER either.

Only real issue was that I couldn't get a fast charge above 70 - 80kW anywhere. But recognising that I was doing relatively short runs to test out various stations en-route, I was often topping-up when already over 50%. Going home in three weeks' time, I will be making fewer selected stops, so need to take more accurate notes - and may put up a synopsis thread about it, if relevant.

Best discovery: IECharge stations All have only about 4 chargers at 320 or 160 kW CCS for 0.30 €/kWh (through their app and good map - totally simple). There aren't hundreds around yet - but expanding fast. They are generally located a few km off the motorways, out in the wilds, often just by a tiny side-road, and usually empty. Downside is no other facilities at all, so hope they don't get trashed through bad French roadside habits!

Last edited:
Bonnie Tyler ... Lost in France ? - but hopefully not on Day I, if you're going in that direction (or any time come to that)!

BTW Had a pretty faultless trip down to SW France three weeks ago. Just one Tesla SC that wouldn't work due to no signal (E of Rouen and in the middle of an industrial estate !!!) Tag worked fine, so no 'silly' glass on my ER either.

Only real issue was that I couldn't get a fast charge above 70 - 80kW anywhere. But recognising that I was doing relatively short runs to test out various stations en-route, I was often topping-up when already over 50%. Going home in three weeks' time, I will be making fewer selected stops, so need to take more accurate notes - and may put up a synopsis thread about it, if relevant.

Best discovery: IECharge stations All have only about 4 chargers at 320 or 160 kW CCS for 0.30 €/kWh (through their app and good map - totally simple). There aren't hundreds around yet - but expanding fast. They are generally located a few km off the motorways, out in the wilds, often just by a tiny side-road, and usually empty. Downside is no other facilities at all, so hope they don't get trashed through bad French roadside habits!
I last got 'lost' in France, Lille in 1992. The main autoroute goes to the centre & the through route branches off!

On the way to SW France, I stopped at Abbeyville, Rouen, Le Mans, Potiers, on the N10, Bayonne then Spain. In the colder weather you get slower charging speeds. I typically did 30-80% each time.

France is really easy with Ionity, Total Energies, Fastned and even Shell at every stop.

I last got 'lost' in France, Lille in 1992. The main autoroute goes to the centre & the through route branches off!
I remember it well!
On the way to SW France, I stopped at Abbeyville, Rouen, Le Mans, Potiers, on the N10, Bayonne then Spain.
Our route almost exactly, as far as Angoulême N10, where we always set off cross-country towards Tarbes.
In the colder weather you get slower charging speeds. I typically did 30-80% each time.
I suspected as much, and it was only around 15C most of the time - but good to hear from experience ... and we're not in a hurry these days, so speed isn't that critical.
France is really easy with Ionity, Total Energies, Fastned and even Shell at every stop.
I would only add an 'etc.' and that I've so far found that each vendor's own app, or Electroverse or Shell alternative, is quickest and easiest - apart from Tesla's signal abberation at Bourg-Achard. From that stop there was no really 'good' alternative before our first regular hotel near Sées, where we were down to a low of 11% - but where they had offered us a free 15 hrs 'Granny' charge overnight (avge 1.8 kW) So far, I haven't had to use any of my back-up cards at all - and most stations have been virtually empty ... viz Tesla's 28 pods S of Poitiers (and the one Tesla had gone shopping and wasn't even charging!):

IMG_20240314_155907036.jpg

Last edited:
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom