Sabsack

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG4 SE SR
Hi All,

Getting really frustrated with the limited 6.6kw charging on AC - plugging into a 22kw charger at work and i can only use it for 2hrs due to the fair use policy and its just not fast enough. why MG restricted the normal type3 charge to 6.6kw is beyond me excluding super chargers (150KW+) the most common chargers are 11kw-22kw

MG4 has the option for a CCS and charge over DC - anyone know where i can get an adapter to convert from the type2 cable to CCS2 (Tesla have an adapter for the model S to convert the type2 socket on the car to allow for Supercharging over a CCS DC connection)

just looking if anyone has one...? whats it like...? where did you get from..?

Sorry I’m a bit slow, but all rapid chargers (DC) >22Kw (AC limit, type 2) are tethered cables are they not (CCS&type 2) . So I ‘think’ (I may be wrong), you’re asking for a solution that is not possible.

Sorry I’m a bit slow, but all rapid chargers (DC) >22Kw (AC limit, type 2) are tethered cables are they not (CCS&type 2) . So I ‘think’ (I may be wrong), you’re asking for a solution that is not possible.
...and not required as you said, all above 22kW come tethered so no need for a cable or adapter.

Doesn't the MG4 LR (If the OP has one) have 11kW on board charging so you would just need to buy a 3 phase cable instead of the single phase.

Hi All,

Getting really frustrated with the limited 6.6kw charging on AC - plugging into a 22kw charger at work and i can only use it for 2hrs due to the fair use policy and its just not fast enough. why MG restricted the normal type3 charge to 6.6kw is beyond me excluding super chargers (150KW+) the most common chargers are 11kw-22kw

MG4 has the option for a CCS and charge over DC - anyone know where i can get an adapter to convert from the type2 cable to CCS2 (Tesla have an adapter for the model S to convert the type2 socket on the car to allow for Supercharging over a CCS DC connection)

Having re-read your post I think either I am confused or you are. The type 2 for your AC charge that you use at work uses the car's onboard charger to convert AC current to DC for the car's battery, The CCS (super chargers or Rapids as they are generally known) is DC to start with so feed 'direct' into the battery.
What are you wanting this adapter to do ?

...and not required as you said, all above 22kW come tethered so no need for a cable or adapter.

Doesn't the MG4 LR (If the OP has one) have 11kW on board charging so you would just need to buy a 3 phase cable instead of the single phase.
according to MG and what is listed online the MG4 only supports a MAX of 6.6kw over AC & up to 117kw on DC.

6.6kw is just too slow. from 9% battery it took 17hrs and 20mins to charge to 100%
from a 22kw charging station that when i plugged in a Tesla from 5% (Long Range Model3) using type2 only is charged to 100% in around 5hrs)

Having re-read your post I think either I am confused or you are. The type 2 for your AC charge that you use at work uses the car's onboard charger to convert AC current to DC for the car's battery, The CCS (super chargers or Rapids as they are generally known) is DC to start with so feed 'direct' into the battery.
What are you wanting this adapter to do ?
to allow me to use the type2 3 phase cable i currntly have but on connecting to the car the adapter allows me to plugin to the DC (CCS) instead of charging on AC. this would allow the full 22kw of the charging station as DC charging on the MG4 allows a max of 117kw

to allow me to use the type2 3 phase cable i currntly have but on connecting to the car the adapter allows me to plugin to the DC (CCS) instead of charging on AC. this would allow the full 22kw of the charging station as DC charging on the MG4 allows a max of 117kw
i have found a few places online that do different adapters to convert all the different types of EV chargers to type2 or CCS mostly for the Tesla model s & x but the adapter is the wrong way round for my requirement.

You basically should be able to buy a 3phase CCS to standard type charging station cable that has the required coil/resistors etc to convert AC to DC - this would then allow faster charging and eliminate the slow 6.6kw max on AC

Seems you may have an issue as according to MG on the 4 you get the following. If yours took 17 hours either it isn't charging at almost 7kW or you are using the granny charger, I personally think your charger is not supplying what you think it is? a bit of fault finding required.
1688549426449.png

You basically should be able to buy a 3phase CCS to standard type charging station cable that has the required coil/resistors etc to convert AC to DC - this would then allow faster charging and eliminate the slow 6.6kw max on AC
but as they dont have this type of cable yet, im looking for an adapter that can do this for now. just needs to be the correct way round - as in male/female connectors

Seems you may have an issue as according to MG on the 4 you get the following. If yours took 17 hours either it isn't charging at almost 7kW or you are using the granny charger, I personally think your charger is not supplying what you think it is? a bit of fault finding required.
View attachment 18781
1688549911774.png

unless i plug into a 150kw rapid charger everything else does not go above 6.6kw max averages around 5.7kw and if i change to 16Amps the current input is reduced to 3.2kw.

Can you post a picture of the socket on your canto see if it has L2 and L3 populated.
Same with the lead just to check it out.
Just to clarify you want to use the 22kW AC output from your work and convert it to DC to put into the lower two DC pins?

Hi All,

I think you are starting from a misunderstanding of the charging standards.

AC charge rate is dictated by the car's onboard inverter. If you are only getting 6.6kW, then you have a single phase inverter. If you plug into a 7kW, 11kW, or 22kW type 2 EVSE, you will only get 6.6kW.

No type 2 AC charging unit will deliver DC charging

DC charging bypasses the AC inverter and the lower 2 pins on the CCS connector feed DC into the battery via the car's battery management system, which will limit the power to the maximum the car can handle.

Tesla do their own thing and use one plug for both AC and DC, which is why you need an adapter to seperate out the AC and DC into the CCS format.

I hope that helps. :)

I think you are starting from a misunderstanding of the charging standards.

AC charge rate is dictated by the car's onboard inverter. If you are only getting 6.6kW, then you have a single phase inverter. If you plug into a 7kW, 11kW, or 22kW type 2 EVSE, you will only get 6.6kW.

No type 2 AC charging unit will deliver DC charging

DC charging bypasses the AC inverter and the lower 2 pins on the CCS connector feed DC into the battery via the car's battery management system, which will limit the power to the maximum the car can handle.

Tesla do their own thing and use one plug for both AC and DC, which is why you need an adapter to seperate out the AC and DC into the CCS format.

I hope that helps. :)
Yes this does help thank you. but you must be able to take an AC current such as 11kw/22kw and convert it via an adapter to use/plugin to the 2 DC pins to bypass the onboard inverter..? this would then allow faster charging using the DC pins instead. you would actually get the max 11kw/22kw surely...?

outside of EV charging this conversion is possible - After Stepping down of voltage, AC can be converted to DC using rectifiers. A full bridge rectifier can be used to convert AC to DC.

Yes this does help thank you. but you must be able to take an AC current such as 11kw/22kw and convert it via an adapter to use/plugin to the 2 DC pins to bypass the onboard inverter..? this would then allow faster charging using the DC pins instead. you would actually get the max 11kw/22kw surely...?

outside of EV charging this conversion is possible - After Stepping down of voltage, AC can be converted to DC using rectifiers. A full bridge rectifier can be used to convert AC to DC.
The AC is coming in on three Phases on a 22kW EVSE.
There wont be any 'stepping down' as the DC is at 400V.
You would need some big bridge diodes and what would control the charge rate?
Best to just stick with a Rapid charger which has already been designed for the job :)

Yes this does help thank you. but you must be able to take an AC current such as 11kw/22kw and convert it via an adapter to use/plugin to the 2 DC pins to bypass the onboard inverter..?
There is an adapter to convert 3 phase AC to DC, it's called a CCS rapid charger. You find them a most charging stations. :)

There is an adapter to convert 3 phase AC to DC, it's called a CCS rapid charger. You find them a most charging stations. :)
PMSL thanks for that.

If they had an adapter you could get faster charging by bypassing the onboard single phase inverter and for myself using the office charger at a cost of only 26p KW and could charge the car fully in less than 5hrs.

So in reality its best to stay away from EV's with single phase onboard inverters which basically leaves you with Tesla, Audi, BMW, Mercedes, some of Kia's models, and a very small hand full of others...

im just baffled why manufactures are still using single phase inverters with its very limited capacity at a max of 6.6kw.

So glad this is a company car, id be returning it if i had purchased it, it is by no means efficient or fit for purpose.

the down side to using rapid chargers is the cost per KW and using a rapid charger all the time kills the battery

Doesn't really help but the MG5 FL has an AC onboarding 11kwh charge rate.

As a note if you MG4 is taking 17h to charge I think there is something wrong. My MG5 FL will charge at ~10% per our hour using a 5kwh lamppost charger.

I've not had my MG4 on type 2 chargers very often, but my impression is that it was charging a lot faster than on the granny charger, and a lot faster than the OP is talking about. Going from 70% or so to 100% took somewhere between 2 and 3 hours. Presumably it would go faster if it started from a lower SoC.

I've not had my MG4 on type 2 chargers very often, but my impression is that it was charging a lot faster than on the granny charger, and a lot faster than the OP is talking about. Going from 70% or so to 100% took somewhere between 2 and 3 hours. Presumably it would go faster if it started from a lower SoC.
I think if he is only tapping into 1 phase of a 3 phase supply, he will only get 3.5kW.

MG4 LR does 11kW on AC chargers, 7kW for the SR.

More cars these days are supporting 22kW AC and this will grow, however the utility of this is somewhat doubtful.

For rapid charges en route, a DC charger is needed. For slow charges while parked, 22kW is overkill and means a car has to be moved after 2-3 hours or the charger is blocked, causing a lot of faffing about and arguments at work when people are busy and can't move it.

Generally for charging at home or work, 7kW is enough and a granny charger can be good enough while staying away on vacation.

Workplaces need to provide more 7kW chargers rather than try to rotate or ration higher power ones amongst a large group.

That last sentence! Totally.

I was having an argument on another thread about some type 2 chargers in a car park that have a 4 hour time limit on them. If you stay a second over that, you get an instant £40 fine. There are eight connectors, and I've never seen more than three occupied at once. What the hell is the point of it all?

Type 2 chargers should be seen as destination chargers. You park, and you charge where you're parked. The charging facility should be seen as part of the provision included with the parking space. You should not be under pressure to leave your important city-centre meeting or your evening party or your theatre performance because the clock on the charger is ticking. If the chargers are never fully occupied, then leave people alone. If they start to be fully occupied, with fully-charged cars "blocking" the charger, install more chargers! Eight EV-equipped parking spaces in a car park with more than 800 spaces in all isn't going to be enough forever. The objective should be to have sufficient EV-equipped spaces to satisfy demand, not to force people to move to maximise use of the chargers.

There's still something wrong with this story. I have an SR so it's going to charge more slowly than the LR batteries even on an AC charger (I think). I took it from 9% to 100% on a granny charger in 26 hours, and that included the time to do the balance charge at the end. I used a destination charger at a theatre in August, which was giving me (somewhat to my surprise) about 5.5 Kw according to the app. I arrived at under 50% charge (probably about 45%) and (again according to the app) the estimated time to full was around 4.5 hours - so five hours including balancing time.

This is with a low power destination charger running off a wind turbine. And indeed, the car was at 100% before I was ready to leave. The OP should be managing much better than he reports. Something doesn't add up.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom