Yes if it's a 16A outlet, no if it's 32A.👌
Sorry Speedy B, I have an 11kw charger ( 3.6 x 3 ) on 3 phase electricity and it charges at 10.2 kw or 3.4 kw per phase . If I fitted a 22kw charger ( 7.3 x 3) it would still only charge each phase at 3.4 kw because thats all the car will ask for as a maximum with around 10% losses.

...and not required as you said, all above 22kW come tethered so no need for a cable or adapter.

Doesn't the MG4 LR (If the OP has one) have 11kW on board charging so you would just need to buy a 3 phase cable instead of the single phase.
Correct the MG4 trophy does have 11kW charger, but not the lfp battery models 👍

Sorry Speedy B, I have an 11kw charger ( 3.6 x 3 ) on 3 phase electricity and it charges at 10.2 kw or 3.4 kw per phase . If I fitted a 22kw charger ( 7.3 x 3) it would still only charge each phase at 3.4 kw because thats all the car will ask for as a maximum with around 10% losses.
Firstly your wall box is not a"charger"it is just a controler for the cars charger (the car has ac charger on board) and yes only the Trophy model(UK) has 11kW charger, so that's your limit. 👌

Sorry Speedy B, I have an 11kw charger ( 3.6 x 3 ) on 3 phase electricity and it charges at 10.2 kw or 3.4 kw per phase . If I fitted
I believe the phase 2 LR and Trophy cars are now limited to 7 Kw just like the SR always was.
a 22kw charger ( 7.3 x 3) it would still only charge each phase at 3.4 kw because thats all the car will ask for as a maximum with around 10% losses.
I believe the phase 2 LR and Trophy cars are now limited to 7 Kw just like the SR always was.
OK, I've got 1st gen trophy, so didn't know about that. 👍

Yes, indeed.

When I was waiting for my MG4 (first EV), I thought that AC charge speed was really important. I thought "there's little or no rapid charging around here".

However, I didn't realise I would almost never need to charge around here with my home charger. I didn't realise if I am visiting somewhere for the day or overnight then 7kW is more than enough to top up.

These days I think we need to maximise 7kW destination charging and then the need for rapid charging en-route will be minimised.

There's a charger at the end of my road that has 50 Kw CCS and CHAdeMO, and something like 45 Kw Type 2. It also has a 55 minute time limit. I'm not quite sure what the type 2 is for, although I have heard of older cars that don't have DC charging capability.

There is still a genuine problem with time limits on type 2 chargers. Officialdom needs to understand the purpose of these things, and that if they're oversubscribed they need to install more units.

I also think that venues need to think about how long people are likely to stay. A supermarket probably needs rapid charging because you can't get much from a 7 Kw unit in the time it takes to buy some groceries. On the other hand a leisure park needs lots of destination chargers.

Correct the MG4 trophy does have 11kW charger, but not the lfp battery models 👍

Firstly your wall box is not a"charger"it is just a controler for the cars charger (the car has ac charger on board) and yes only the Trophy model(UK) has 11kW charger, so that's your limit. 👌
Indeed yes, I was just using the common vernacular.

And it's actually an EVSE, Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. :)
Since getting this car I,ve needed to learn dozens of different acronyms , will the Oxford English dictionary produce an updated version with an appendix to cover our advancing society? Handy Christmas present. I could have bought a Supercharged Hybrid Intercooled Toyota, but they were not any good and the badge oh! the badge.

What do you call the thing you put in a lamp? A lamp, a bulb or a luminaire?
I keep getting told that bulbs go in the ground
I have seen that done...spooky

1697286435808.png

What do you call the thing you put in a lamp? A lamp, a bulb or a luminaire?
I keep getting told that bulbs go in the ground
No idea, I just loudly exclaim "Lumos!" as I waggle my wand and it is made so.
A lamp goes into a light
Bzzzt incorrect, a light bulb goes into a light fitting.
A bulb goes into the ground
Bzzzt incorrect, a bulb goes into a hole in the ground and is then covered (pedant mode).
A hoover sits in the under-stairs cupboard
Bzzzt incorrect, that is where I am kept! 😉

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom