Charging and discharge % recommendations

kevinpclarke

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I’ve only had my ZS EV LR for one week or so. I duly ran the car down until it reached 20% and charged it up to 80%. as per the recommended documentation/internet info.
I just wondered what the general opinion and experiences was for discharging lower than 20% I.e. 10 or 15% and indeed charging it higher than 80%? Or should I only exceed these %‘s when doing long journeys ?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
Kevin

Up to now I have charged my hybrid every few days. Of late have charged when battery down to less than 20%. Only strange result is that instead of giving mileage of 32 miles now stops at 31 miles ???
Car done some 10,500 miles ?? Any ideas

I’ve only had my ZS EV LR for one week or so. I duly ran the car down until it reached 20% and charged it up to 80%. as per the recommended documentation/internet info.
I just wondered what the general opinion and experiences was for discharging lower than 20% I.e. 10 or 15% and indeed charging it higher than 80%? Or should I only exceed these %‘s when doing long journeys ?

Regards
Kevin
You don't need to run it down to 20% before charging it's quite happy at charging even if your just adding 20% from 60%

Charging to 100% is fine when you need it just don't leave car at 100% with out using it

The battery will be happy if kept above 20% not so happy under 10%

For best battery health keep between 20% and 90% you can charge anywhere in-between

Regards
Kevin
Hi, what battery type do you have?
The 20-80% thing is just a guide.
I keep my MG5 between 40% and 80-90% and battery balance roughly monthly.

In ops post LR 😙😛😅

Up to now I have charged my hybrid every few days. Of late have charged when battery down to less than 20%. Only strange result is that instead of giving mileage of 32 miles now stops at 31 miles ???
Car done some 10,500 miles ?? Any ideas
Best ask in HS room

It’s an LR. You mentioned Battery Balancing. I presume that is changing to 100% and leave it connected to the charger whilst MG does it’s balancing work? I read somewhere the light within the connector where charger is connected pulses on and off for an hour or so?

Depends on if you use rapids as they charge using DC and you can only balance on type 2 AC can take 20 minutes to a few hours but only at 300W.

I charge to 100% every time I come home and allow it to balance every time via a Granny whether I need it or not and after 18 months and 28k plus my battery is still 100% SOH.
Out of interest how low have you run the battery down to?

I charge to 100% every time I come home and allow it to balance every time via a Granny whether I need it or not and after 18 months and 28k plus my battery is still 100% SOH.
Do you always use a granny cable to charge at home or do first charge it via a home type 2 7kw charger before switching to the Granny cable?

No, Granny only. Just via an outdoor socket with a 30A fused spur fitted by an electrician. We live in France and the Granny pulls a constant 2.2kw so I plug it an after work and unplug it in the morning. My furthest customers for my business live 125km away from me so I always have to have it "ready to go" if needed for a 250km round trip. Sometimes I dont use the car for a few days and it does not lose any charge when I come to use it.

No, Granny only. Just via an outdoor socket with a 30A fused spur fitted by an electrician. We live in France and the Granny pulls a constant 2.2kw so I plug it an after work and unplug it in the morning. My furthest customers for my business live 125km away from me so I always have to have it "ready to go" if needed for a 250km round trip. Sometimes I dont use the car for a few days and it does not lose any charge when I come to use it.
It sounds like you have little option, but to run the charge down to 15km when doing a 250km round trip. It is reassuring to know it will go as low as 15km or more without stopping. I’m still getting used to my ZS, but I imagine I’ll run it down lower than 20% from time to time. Many thanks for sharing your experience.

You can run it to zero and I can vouch for that. There is definately a built in "buffer". I arrived home with 1km showing and zero % once and drove it up and down our road totalling around another 10km until it died. I have a portable power station that I then used to give it a bit of juice to then get me back home ! I dont see the point of an EV with a stated range of 280km when you cant use it all ?

You can run it to zero and I can vouch for that. There is definately a built in "buffer". I arrived home with 1km showing and zero % once and drove it up and down our road totalling around another 10km until it died. I have a portable power station that I then used to give it a bit of juice to then get me back home ! I dont see the point of an EV with a stated range of 280km when you cant use it all ?
Good grief! that’s impressive! The portable power station sounds useful. Which one would you recommend?

How do we actually check the SOH?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom