Charging and general help for a newbie

Charlie1277

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All. I'm brand new to this forum and electric cars. Im making my first long trip (west wales to London) on Friday in my MG5 eV long range I've loaded lots of apps and researched the journey and charging on route and in London, so fingers crossed I'll figure out how to charge it. Unfortunately the car didn't come with the type 2 to type 2 cable, which is both annoying and ridiculous . I'm going to borrow one. If anyone can impart tips and knowledge it would be greatly received. I've only charged from home, in service stations do the charge points come with fast charge leads attached? I'm both excited and slightly terrified by this journey in equal measures 😰😂😂😂

Hi All. I'm brand new to this forum and electric cars. Im making my first long trip (west wales to London) on Friday in my MG5 eV long range I've loaded lots of apps and researched the journey and charging on route and in London, so fingers crossed I'll figure out how to charge it. Unfortunately the car didn't come with the type 2 to type 2 cable, which is both annoying and ridiculous . I'm going to borrow one. If anyone can impart tips and knowledge it would be greatly received. I've only charged from home, in service stations do the charge points come with fast charge leads attached? I'm both excited and slightly terrified by this journey in equal measures 😰😂😂😂

When using some AC units (such as PodPoint), I didn't realise that when unlocking the car, the cable releases from the car for 5 seconds or so & then seemed to lock again rather than when you stop the charge as you do on a DC charger itself.

All CCS DC chargers have leads attached, the car will do around 80kW on DC (depending on SOC and temperature) if you manage to find a 100kW unit or above. I think all DC units, even those with more than one DC connection, will only allow one car charging at a time - so plugging in when someone is already charging may stop them - possibly best to avoid that unless they're at 100% and no where to be seen.

You sound like you've got the apps, planned a route - just make sure you've got options A, B & C in case your first choice is busy or broken. Although some people wait until 20% or less before charging, but there's no harm in doing an additional stop and charging earlier if worried at all. Usually best to stop charging around 80% as charge speeds tend to slow significantly above this - but some people charge to 90%+ when needed (any debate around this is incredibly emotive and best avoided).

I should add, everyone will have their favourite charging network - based on personal experience and cost - but InstaVolt, MFG Power and Osprey as well as the new Gridserve units tend to get good reviews.

Thank you so much. I'm still trying to get to grips with all the different charger/cable types. It's a minefield, thanks for the tips. I hope I've downloaded the right apps but they all seem to be supported by different companies. I fully charged mine for the first time and it only got to 233 miles not the 260 as when I left the garage 🤔🤔. Can I use my home charging cable with a 3 pin plug out and about?

Thank you so much. I'm still trying to get to grips with all the different charger/cable types. It's a minefield, thanks for the tips. I hope I've downloaded the right apps but they all seem to be supported by different companies. I fully charged mine for the first time and it only got to 233 miles not the 260 as when I left the garage 🤔🤔. Can I use my home charging cable with a 3 pin plug out and about?
Sorry for all the questions, in deepest darkest West Wales I don't know many people with fully electric cars 🙈

Hi, a lot of apps have live data to see if the unit is in use but obviously can't show you if there is a queue.
I used Instavolt units on a trip as the are very reliable not cheap so are normally available.
Check out their app and monitor the usage at the times you may get to the one on your route. Worked for me as I avoided the one at a Macdonald's just off the M25 as it was always busy.

Don't worry about 233 miles, it's based on your recent trip computer kWh usage, if you reset this it'll jump back to 250. As it's new, there won't be any inbalance in the battery cells which can reduce capacity/range - happens over time if not charging to 100% and allowing a hour+ balancing time around once a month or so.

As for apps, Zap-Map and ABRP seem best two for route planning. I like WattsUp for real time status of chargers but don't really use network apps other than PodPoint and IONITY on one occasion. Most of the highly rated networks accept contactless cards - but beware of the pre-authorisation fee that some charge and hold even if charge fails (BP getting bad name for this just now), so some people use a credit card rather than debit card.

You can use your 3 pin plug (granny charger) when out if you can find a socket - pretty rare to find a public one so more usual at hotel, etc where staying if they have socket but no charge point.

Is there much difference between all the different charger cables? I am starting to look for a type 2 to type 2 cable and there seems to be loads on offer

You can buy yourself a type 2 cable for 130 squids or less (or more). You should invest in one.

Type 2 to Type 2 - 32amp for 7.5kw, or 16amp for 3.5kw chargers.
5m or 10m, £130-150

Personally I went with 10m as it gives me the most flexibility (reversing to a point not nose first), but they are 6kg and like handling an octopus when wet.

I thought about getting the longer one but tbh decided they would be too unwieldy.

I'd get the bag if you buy one as it just sits on top of the frunk nice and tidily, thus freeing up some boot space.

Not really. Tbh I think the bags the same size they sell for the 5m and 10m. Evonestop.co.uk orders ship directly from Rolec, good quality cable and connectors. But a handful when wet. Think I'm going to get an old towel to keep in the boot.

As Lguk says, it's not that bad, I had a play today snaking it across the drive to where the car will be parked and bundled it back into the bag no problem. I was surprised to find a 5m type 2 in the boot when the car turned up (as well as the granny charger). I need 10m for home due to charger location, so that will stay at home and the 5m one will stay in the boot.

You can use a granny charger anywhere you can find a 3 pin socket. Specially if you visiting friends or relatives.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom