Charging at free charger

Suds32

Novice Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG HS PHEV
HI I purchased a type 2 lead so we can charge the PHEV when we are out and about.
But we have tried 3 free chargers but the car just says connecting for a few minutes then goes off
(actually took it back and got it swapped but still have the same issue)
Can anyone confirm, their should be know issue using a purchased type 2 lead on a free 7.4 kw charger. Charger working fine and activated
Using a tethered 7.4 kw charger works fine, just not one where i have to use my lead ??

Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah thanks these are completely free no need to activated with app.
I think the leads I have trued may be faulty as I can’t see any reason why i could not charge the car . Especially as it never connects just says trying to connect then goes off.

Yeah thanks these are completely free no need to activated with app.
I think the leads I have trued may be faulty as I can’t see any reason why i could not charge the car . Especially as it never connects just says trying to connect then goes off.
What is the charge point name, or the location.

All the pod point ones by me that I've used are free, but i believe you only get 15 minutes charge if not confirmed via their app.

If you have a multimeter you could check the cable for continuity.

I should have mentioned these are in New Zealand and both I tried where a simple push green button to start.
really just after confirmation their should be no issue using a purchased type 2 lead as long the lead is not faulty

hi suds 32 , no there should be no issue. I use the type 2 connector on a free pod point 7kw charger here in the UK. I personally open the charging port , then lock the car , once locked I connect the charger cable until I here it lock .As a double check I look at the dash to see the charging connection picture that appears and to make sure the type 2 lead part of the picture shows its charging.

I too made this mistake you get 15mins free with pod point.then if you don’t confirm charge with there app it is disconnected had no issues since.

hi suds 32 , no there should be no issue. I use the type 2 connector on a free pod point 7kw charger here in the UK. I personally open the charging port , then lock the car , once locked I connect the charger cable until I here it lock .As a double check I look at the dash to see the charging connection picture that appears and to make sure the type 2 lead part of the picture shows its charging.
Thanks, the charging connection comes up on the screen but just says connecting. I will test again trying your exact order just in case

Is the cable locking in, if not, try holding the cable firmly into place, until you hear it lock. The cable I use is when public charging, is a little heavier/stiffer, and sometimes needs to be help in place until it is locked.

I have used a lot of free chargers and confirm that unless you confirm via app it will stop charging
within 15 minutes.

I have been using free Pod Point charging mainly at Tesco and also at other private charging points in a major shopping centre. They are brilliant but shame it takes so long just to gain a few miles (8 miles/hr).

However I did have a problem the other day with a Genie Point 22kW charger on free vend. It just wouldn’t activate charge, the car just says connecting because the charge point wasn’t delivering. Not sure if it’s the car or charger was the issue?

I have been using free Pod Point charging mainly at Tesco and also at other private charging points in a major shopping centre. They are brilliant but shame it takes so long just to gain a few miles (8 miles/hr).

However I did have a problem the other day with a Genie Point 22kW charger on free vend. It just wouldn’t activate charge, the car just says connecting because the charge point wasn’t delivering. Not sure if it’s the car or charger was the issue?
Just wondering were the other chargers that worked 22kw as well ?

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom