Charging at home

JHendriks

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I always charge at home with 3 kW at night. I don't set a timer, so it's usually 100%. I did this with my previous car (Chevrolet Volt) also and the battery functioned perfectly. Now do I read often about charging to 80%, that it is better for the battery. At rapid chargers I understand that, but what's your experience with home charging? Should I charge to 80% or can I keep charging during the night to 100%?

I always charge at home with 3 kW at night. I don't set a timer, so it's usually 100%. I did this with my previous car (Chevrolet Volt) also and the battery functioned perfectly. Now do I read often about charging to 80%, that it is better for the battery. At rapid chargers I understand that, but what's your experience with home charging? Should I charge to 80% or can I keep charging during the night to 100%?
just keep doing what you are doing as long as you have the latest bms you will be fine ,its when you use ccs chargers that 80/82 % is fine after that the chargers drops right down in its out put.

Thank you for the reply! Well, I dont think I have the latest BMS. I got the car at the end of october (in the Netherlands). My car doesn't charge when unlocked, so I think I have the version before that.
Does that change anything?

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply! Well, I dont think I have the latest BMS. I got the car at the end of october (in the Netherlands). My car doesn't charge when unlocked, so I think I have the version before that.
As long as your volts when fully charged are about 455, then don't worry about getting the BMS for now. If volts are dropping as you're using the car/doing battery cycles, then you have unfortunately had the dodgy october bms update applied before you got given the car - in which case you should get it to the dealer ASAP for the update before it gets any worse.

As long as your volts when fully charged are about 455, then don't worry about getting the BMS for now. If volts are dropping as you're using the car/doing battery cycles, then you have unfortunately had the dodgy october bms update applied before you got given the car - in which case you should get it to the dealer ASAP for the update before it gets any worse.
Thanx! No dodgy BMS in my car then😄

I agree with jodys21

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom