Charging at work?

Do you have access to a charger at work?

• Total voters
My firm bought this for another guy with a company EV but they don't know where to put it without digging up the new car park....
DSCI7686.JPG

Purely for interest’s sake, including what the rate is (15p/kWH for me)
I don't have a charger at work but then again i work from home most days. LOL but as I live in a flat I do not have a charger there either.

That said I do not have a car delivered either so I guess I do not need a charger.

My workplace is installing some 7kw chargers, they were going to be free but HR were concerned that it would be a workplace benefit that 1) would be taxable and 2) was unfairly weighted to advantage higher paid staff who could afford a nice shiny new electric car, so apparently we are going to be charged at 2p or something like that per kwH higher than the company gets their electricity, so the chargers pay for their installation over 5 years.

We were meant to have them in by now but they keep getting delayed.....kind of like the car itself :ROFLMAO: 😂 :ROFLMAO:

We have three 7kw chargers with six dedicated spaces in the works car park. All on free vend. However, this has caused some animosity between colleagues with the 'if you can afford an EV, why should you get free energy, I don't get free diesel/petrol'..... etc 🤷🏼‍♂️

We have three 7kw chargers with six dedicated spaces in the works car park. All on free vend. However, this has caused some animosity between colleagues with the 'if you can afford an EV, why should you get free energy, I don't get free diesel/petrol'..... etc 🤷🏼‍♂️
It's the argument of why benefit a small subsection of employees vs being able to make quite a big corporate sustainability statement....

After 4 or 5 years of asking, we finally got 4x7kW chargers... after the new boss bought an EV.

Rolec posts, open to visitors for 45p/kWh, but staff get charged 15p/kWh.

It was supposed to have gone up to 25p/kWh at the start of July, but hasn't... so everyone (including the boss) is keeping quiet 🤫

Which is why (I think) there is a notional charge for non-works cars

22 charging points at work. No charge. Many more ev owners. Just about works out swapping spaces. Growing issues as more people buy ev's. I am thankful for what I can get.....which covers all my charging needs.

Whilst the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme has been closed to new applicants for some time now, for those who are self-employed/company directors, there is a Workplace Charging Scheme in the UK that offers a £350 grant for the installation of an EV charger. If your business is registered as a business with Companies House or for VAT at the same address as your home then the charger may be installed at that address.

Whilst the Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme has been closed to new applicants for some time now, for those who are self-employed/company directors, there is a Workplace Charging Scheme in the UK that offers a £350 grant for the installation of an EV charger. If your business is registered as a business with Companies House or for VAT at the same address as your home then the charger may be installed at that address.
Because we're not the only UK subsidiary of our American Corporate Overlords, we couldn't use that and had to pay our electrician full price to fit our 3x Rolec (for us plebs) & 2x Zappi (for company cars). We also paid for him to do the installer course.

I voted for yes because I do charge while at work but it's not work charger. Tesco car park is on the opposite side of the street so I get to put my char on charge for 2 hours a day there. As extra benefit my gym is connected to other tesco car park too so if I go to gym and work same day I can get up to 4 hours of charging.

My commute now is 40 miles a day but most weeks I manage to avoid charging at home unless I do some longer patient visits or training that week where I don't go to the base and can't charge at tesco

Talking of tesco charging the fact that carpark of 300 cars has 4 spaces to charge is a bit of a joke. I think until it becomes mandated that carpark must have x charging spaces we won't see many more

Last edited:
We have 6 7kw chargers out front for 4 for another clients of the business centre we have our office at and 2 for us apparently they have installed 13amp sockets in the basement under our building for the management. Only for company car drivers (fully financed and taxed as such) and free of charge. Getting on them may be difficult as we have 3 users and at least another 2 arriving next month and we are replacing all the circa 100 company cars with EVs.
Apparently the sub-station is now at capacity so no more for the forseeable

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom