Charging cable lock to car - help?

drjas

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Having received our new ZS EV back from first day warranty fix of 12V killer BMS and having the car to drive for more than a few hours, I was trying out our first car charge - but the car will not charge.

I tried trouble shooting different options - doors locked and unlocked, supplied granny charger and our installed Zappi. Nothing progresses beyond recognising the cable is attached, and the Zappi indicates it is waiting on the car to signal to start charging.

Meanwhile the car intermittently makes a noise in the region of the port that sounds like an actuator trying to act. Nothing I've searched in these posts or online suggests it should be this hard.

I'm wondering if there is a physical lock securing the cable to the car while charging? In my case there is nothing to stop the cable being pulled from the car, but I don't know if that is normal. If it is normal, I presume it would also stop DC charging, which I understand bypasses the OBC.

Appreciate advice.

Yes when charging the cable is locked into the front port of the car, when the charging stops and car is unlocked the port unlocks, I believe there is a manual release lever under the bonnet.
Try a different charger but the port should lock when the car is charging, I assume its to stop people nicking the type 2 when you use it at say tesco pod point

Yes when charging the cable is locked into the front port of the car, when the charging stops and car is unlocked the port unlocks, I believe there is a manual release lever under the bonnet.
Try a different charger but the port should lock when the car is charging, I assume its to stop people nicking the type 2 when you use it at say tesco pod point
Thanks, a couple of tugs realigned the lock and car is charging 😁

With the car and the wall box being brand new, the plug and socket will be a tight fit.
When you plug in, just make sure you push the “Gun” hard to the back of the charging socket of the car.
Also just check that the lower CCS bung in the charging socket has been replaced fully.
If it not 100% fully inserted, it will hold off your “Gun” from fully entering the charging port.
The charging “Gun” has to be fully 200% engaged to the back of the charging socket or it will not allow the locking mechanism to engage with the cable.
This will prevent the car from commencing a charge.
The “Gun” and charging socket on the car will become easier to engage the more it is used.
My car is over twelve months old and my feathered wall box cable is almost five years old now.
The “Gun” enters the charge port very easily given the usage.
But two weeks ago, I replaced the tethered cable on the wall box and now I have to really push hard to get it to fully engage with the port.
Just because the “Gun” on the cable is new and it has become a tighter fit now.
I hope may help explain what you are seeing on your car.
It is not a fault, it just because both items are new.
Enjoy !.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom