Charging cable locked in car.

Richal666

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I have a continuing issue where if the car is charging and is at 100% the charger will not release no matter how many times I lock unlock and have to use the emergency manual release under bonnet which is a bit of a chore. This only happens on faster charges like my home charger or work where the charger turns off automatically. Its fine when on a 3pin charge, its as if the car needs to have a some power still coming through the charger to engage the release? Anyone else have this issue?
MG5 Exclusive, Delivered Nov 2021

Not had that issue at all, same model of car and I use AC charging a lot. It's always locked in at the end of charge and a simple press of the unlock remote button releases it.

You literally have to press unlock on the key, then pull it out. If you press the unlock on the car door, by the time you get to the cable it will have relocked!

No problems on my Excite. I obviously have to use the key as it has no keyless entry.

I have the same model and I've had a few moments where I felt I was in that position, but as pjmuk said, I locked and unlocked via the key and it worked. I think there's a STOP option on my charger that possibly did the trick another time. Early days though. I'm not sure I know exactly what works always, but thankfully I haven't needed to take the bonnet apart to get out in the morning!

I have a continuing issue where if the car is charging and is at 100% the charger will not release no matter how many times I lock unlock and have to use the emergency manual release under bonnet which is a bit of a chore. This only happens on faster charges like my home charger or work where the charger turns off automatically. Its fine when on a 3pin charge, its as if the car needs to have a some power still coming through the charger to engage the release? Anyone else have this issue?
MG5 Exclusive, Delivered Nov 2021
Do you hear the release operating (or trying to) at unlock?

You literally have to press unlock on the key, then pull it out. If you press the unlock on the car door, by the time you get to the cable it will have relocked!
If you open the door when you've unlocked it, the door and the charge port don't re-lock.

Do you hear the release operating (or trying to) at unlock?
Works fine and normal on the 3pin slow charge which we have used for 2 month as delay in getting home charger fitted. It seems home charger and rapid charges elsewhere cut out when car fully charged so its like the car doesn't recognise a charger is in to release it. Works fine on slow trickle charging and always just unlock from fob and try to pull charger straight away. I'll be getting dealership to check it out though.

I have had two instances of my MG5 LR not unlocking the charge port.
Once i just re-locked and unlocked the car again and it was fine after that. The second time was at a 50kWh charge station, but after locking the car and waiting 2-3 mins, unlocking the car also unlocked the charge port.

I have found the release operation noise is very very quiet on mine, barely a little buzz hardly audible. On the ZS EV I had before it was quite loud.

Had this on Friday night past on 2 separate 50kWh chargers, neither would charge but both got stuck and locked in

Anyone find a reason or a fix

MG5 exclusive

Might be that the car didn't get the disconnect message from the charger. It's happened to me when a session failed. If you make sure the release cable is accessible it won't be an issue for you.

Had this on Friday night past on 2 separate 50kWh chargers, neither would charge but both got stuck and locked in

Anyone find a reason or a fix

MG5 exclusive
I found it happened on certain machines. The fix for me is holding the charger plug up after pressing start charge until it actually starts charging to make sure the type 2 pins are firmly pushed in. Also I scan my card before I plug the car in.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom