Charging cable

bcrawley57

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I am looking to purchase a charging cable for my new EV 5. I have followed the link by the kind user in my first thread. However there are options that confuse me. Namely 32 amp single phase or 32 amp 3 phase. What should I buy. Ie. Does the 3 phase one also work on all outlets including single phase. This is for use on public chargers as my home one will be thethered.

Thank you

I got my cable from EV Cables 4U and went with one rated to 7kwh as my Pre FL most likely only had a 6.4kw charger. It turns out it has an 11 kwh charger as one of the late versions but never mind.

Judging by your profile pic you have a FL so your car can charge up to 11 kwh so I would get a cable capable of handling that sort of power.

I'm guessing that from the information given the 3 phase cables will be rated to 22 kwh so suitable for your needs.

I got my cable from EV Cables 4U and went with one rated to 7kwh as my Pre FL most likely only had a 6.4kw charger. It turns out it has an 11 kwh charger as one of the late versions but never mind.

Judging by your profile pic you have a FL so your car can charge up to 11 kwh so I would get a cable capable of handling that sort of power.

I'm guessing that from the information given the 3 phase cables will be rated to 22 kwh so suitable for your needs.
Thank you 🙏

@Wibble is spot on. I have the FL so I got this cable to charge at the full AC speed.

Interesting is there any easy way to tell if it's the 3 phase charger?
Mines also a late model Pre FL but the cables I have are only wired for a single phase as I didn't expect it to havea 3phase charger.

Mines also a late model Pre FL but the cables I have are only wired for a single phase as I didn't expect it to havea 3phase charger.
My understanding is the pre-facelift was 7kwh and FL is 11kwh

My understanding is the pre-facelift was 7kwh and FL is 11kwh
Indeed this is what I thought as well, but @Wibble seems to be suggesting some of the late run Pre facelifts may have gotten the OBC from the FL installed.

I know they definitely had some part/software changed on the late run Pre-FL's as me and a load of others had a whole load of problems with check HV battery warnings and going into limp mode that MG HQ had to end up issuing a software update for.

Have a look at the type2 socket to see it pins L2 and L3 are populated as the are for phase 2 and phase 3. Not the two bottom pins as they are the DC pins.

All I know is mine chargers faster than 6.4 kWh via the type 2. I have seen somewhere else that some late pre FLs got the inverter from the FL.

All I know is mine chargers faster than 6.4 kWh via the type 2. I have seen somewhere else that some late pre FLs got the inverter from the FL.
Mine charges at 7.2KW on single phase according to my EVSE, If we happen to both be near a 3 phase public charger I’ll borrow my friends cable and try it.

I don’t know how common this knowledge is but if you connect a single phase cable to an 11kW AC charger you will only get 3,5kW as it can only use 1 phase at 16A.
Depends on the charger some of them do something funky to get 7.2.

Something clever that manages to use 2 of the phase inputs even though they only have a single phase coming in.

A lot of the cars sold in the UK with 11 or 22KW onboard chargers can charge at 7ish on single phase as it’s most common for domestic properties here to be fed with 80-100A single phase.

I had a look at the charge port when disconnecting the car earlier even if they had reused the 11KW 3ph inverter from the facelift it still would not be possible to use 3phase charging as the socket doesn’t have the connectors for the other 2 phases.

Could they have used the unit still, unlikely but I guess possible if it’s cabling compatible it might have been cheaper to put in a 3ph unit and not use the 3rd phase input than make a small batch of the other ones if they’d run out

Depends on the charger some of them do something funky to get 7.2.

Something clever that manages to use 2 of the phase inputs even though they only have a single phase coming in.

A lot of the cars sold in the UK with 11 or 22KW onboard chargers can charge at 7ish on single phase as it’s most common for domestic properties here to be fed with 80-100A single phase.

Yes single phase 32A (as common in the UK) allows 7kW charging.

On continental Europe, where 3-phase supply is more common, an FL that’s been plugged in with a 32A 3-phase cable into a 11kW charge point will charge at 10kW.
It can be quite useful as it’ll charge in about 5-6hrs.

Using a single phase cable, as supplied when ordering from MG, only gives you 3,5kW on the same charge point.

Tested this at family in Belgium.

Steven

I believe you can get a 3 phase Zappi in the UK, the hard part is getting a 3 phase smart meter
I believe you can apply to the DNO if you really want 3 phase and if it’s feasible they’ll install it for a cost (I think it’s a few thousand £)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom