Charging complete but still drawing power

JM EV

Novice Member
Reaction score
I have recently started seeing an issue when charrging on my home 7Kw charger ( I have not tried any others). Say for example to screen show that 1 hour of charging is required. I then go back 2 hours later forgetting the time. I notice the MG badge is lighting and going dim, also the light on the charger is still green and humming so obviously drawing power. I press the lock button on the keyfob and look at the screen and ot shows charging complete! Only when I unlock does the draw for power stop and the charger light goes blue. I then lock again and the screen says charging coplete and the charger light is blue and no humming. Any thoughts, please?

I think it does a battery cells balance thing after it's charged to full, but I believe the MG badge should be permanently lit when it's doing this, not pulsing. :unsure:

I think it does a battery cells balance thing after it's charged to full, but I believe the MG badge should be permanently lit when it's doing this, not pulsing. :unsure:
You are correct, the equalisation is done and the badge should remain constant.

It's sometimes very hard to distinguish between the badge LEDs pulsing and steady on, when in daylight (particularly at this time of year, with high light levels) as the LEDs are very dim. Could it be that the LEDs were steady on, but you couldn't see them clearly enough?

Many thanks for your comments. I will keep a close eye on the MG badge next time I charge. How long should the equalisation take?

I did a test last night while charging; I watched the car 'till the badge lights changed from pulsing to steady on (it was easier to see at night :) ) - then I went out to the car and pressed the lock button on the remote, to bring up the charging screen inside the car. The car said "charging complete". The charger light is still on, indicating that the car is drawing current, so the charger still thinks it's charging. This appears to be the same condition that you described - the car does indeed continue to draw current while it's in it's "balancing" phase, while the screen shows "charging complete".

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom