Charging cover snapped - crap design for parallel parking

megamac

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
So charged the car overnight at the resident bays we have in Central London and came to the car this morning with the flap snapped. Clearly the guy in front reversed too much as he was parking and snapped it.

Obviously did not leave a note, or cared that much.

Always thought the placement of the charging port was bad, but hey, superior engineering of cheap EVs 🙄

Any idea what the £ cost and time at the garage this will take?

It is currently held in place by duck tape.

Attachments

• 3BC8BB3E-21A0-4C2D-9F23-FF671DDCD06D.jpeg
    3BC8BB3E-21A0-4C2D-9F23-FF671DDCD06D.jpeg
    395.3 KB · Views: 153
  • EDFF6B06-1A30-4B6A-9B83-096049E41A74.jpeg
    EDFF6B06-1A30-4B6A-9B83-096049E41A74.jpeg
    296.6 KB · Views: 130
There is a post on this think the part that is broken is £35? Hopefully the painted part is not damaged as that is more but apparently the dealer charges for £300 + labour

I would take it apart and make aluminium pieces both sides and screw through to make an aluminium sandwich. Whats the point of replacing it with the same thing that's going to break again. Maybe even fill the voids with araldite to make it a solid piece.

Is it possible that somebody has pushed passed by the front in the car and either forced the door backward and broken it, or dragged the charging cable, which in turn has snapped the hinge?.
If somebody had backed into it, I would be more worried about any body damage to be honest !.
The strength of this hinge has coming into question before, the colder weather does it no favours either.
The plastic will be even weaker in this colder weather.
The hinge needs to be of a solid construction and not a honey comb design to be honest.
The cost of the part at £35 is not bad, put the labour is a bit spiteful @ about £300.

Thinking about this if it was a car backing into you is the type 2 plug and socket ok?
The car was charging at the time and the socket and plug are fine.

The charge was completing when we got to the car, so it went from 30 to 100% with no problems. We just saw the broken door when we went to unplug in the morning.

Is it possible that somebody has pushed passed by the front in the car and either forced the door backward and broken it, or dragged the charging cable, which in turn has snapped the hinge?.
If somebody had backed into it, I would be more worried about any body damage to be honest !.
The strength of this hinge has coming into question before, the colder weather does it no favours either.
The plastic will be even weaker in this colder weather.
The hinge needs to be of a solid construction and not a honey comb design to be honest.
The cost of the part at £35 is not bad, put the labour is a bit spiteful @ about £300.
The charging point was on the passenger side so the cable did not go over the flap. This was purely someone reversing too much, not paying attention to his sensors (it was a white BMW) and just snapped the flap by pushing it too far back.

I hope nothing happens to his side mirrors or tyres in the near future….

There is a post on this think the part that is broken is £35? Hopefully the painted part is not damaged as that is more but apparently the dealer charges for £300 + labour
Yup, looks like I am out of pocket for 2h labour and a £35 part cost, which will run to £300 plus the inconvenience of losing the car for a day. May combine it with the annual service to cut down on the time the car spends at the garage.

Yup, looks like I am out of pocket for 2h labour and a £35 part cost, which will run to £300 plus the inconvenience of losing the car for a day. May combine it with the annual service to cut down on the time the car spends at the garage.
I wonder what the wait time is like on a new charge flap hinge ???.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom