Charging EV by Solar Panels

Tosh

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I have Zappi, Solar Panels and 9kWh of batteries, I’m contracted to Octopus intelligent go tariff my issues when I plug in my EV for charging on a sunny day Octopus sets the charging schedule overriding my surplus energy from my solar panels, it then downloads from the grid, as anyone have the same issues, Octopus blame the Zappi, my energy (Zappi) points out that Octopus have full control of my Zappi and its there software who’s is causing my issues, anyone had the same issues ?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a setting on the Zappi so that it allows charging from solar isn't there? eco+ or something? I guess you would set that to override the Octopus control while charging from solar.

Set Zappi app to eco+ and 100% then any surplus over 1.6kW goes into the car. I think in eco mode it shares between battery and car. I don’t have Octopus tariff though.

I had similar when we first had the Zappi installed. On the first time we plugged in (on Octopus Intelligent Go) the car charged to 30% as set but then after the last charging period (ended 05:30) it carried on charging taking the power from our solar batteries!

I eventually worked out if I set the zappi to not use excess solar it works fine. i.e. on Zappi: Menu - Other Settings - Advanced - password - Supply Grid - Export/Network - Export Margin set it to something very high above the max your panels could output.

I believe what happens is after Octopus send the stop message to the Zappi my inverter sort of pushes back as it tries to balance house load and not take from the grid and some power 'leaks' out to the grid, the zappi picks up this as excess solar so uses it to charge the car (in Eco+ mode as Octopus leave it) I don't quite understand why the Zappi then continues to pull power from the batteries - probably because the inverter is pushing power out to meet household demand and Zappi still seeing it as excess solar.
Anyway try setting the Zappi to have a very high export margin that should stop it 'stealing your solar and batteries'.

I have my Zappi set as pictured.
My house battery is set to charge between 2330-0530. The only issue I have is if the slot given are before 2330. I generally only plug in after 1700.
Screenshot_20240327_153121_myenergi.jpg

I have Zappi, Solar Panels and 9kl of batteries, I’m contracted to Octopus intelligent go tariff my issues when I plug in my EV for charging on a sunny day Octopus sets the charging schedule overriding my surplus energy from my solar panels, it then downloads from the grid, as anyone have the same issues, Octopus blame the Zappi, my energy (Zappi) points out that Octopus have full control of my Zappi and its there software who’s is causing my issues, anyone had the same issues ?
I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to take advantage of this sunny spell and want to top up with solar. If the zappi finds surplace power it will automatically use this to suppliment the solar power. I don't want to do this, i just want the solar power. Zappi says this is caused by octopas. I have contacted them but no responce so far. What I also find is that zappi seems to also be taking electricity from my battery. Today the battery was 100% full when i plugged in to charge. Zappi was taking no electricity from the grid as no surplus was available yet by 6pm the battery was down to only 10% left. Zappi had added this to the car battery to supplement the solar power. Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm having a similar problem. I'm trying to take advantage of this sunny spell and want to top up with solar. If the zappi finds surplace power it will automatically use this to suppliment the solar power. I don't want to do this, i just want the solar power. Zappi says this is caused by octopas. I have contacted them but no responce so far. What I also find is that zappi seems to also be taking electricity from my battery. Today the battery was 100% full when i plugged in to charge. Zappi was taking no electricity from the grid as no surplus was available yet by 6pm the battery was down to only 10% left. Zappi had added this to the car battery to supplement the solar power. Has anyone else experienced this?
From my experience the zappi sees export as power it should use to charge the car but when the solar drops the inverter is actively sort of pushing against the grid so your house uses solar generation and battery but when solar drops quickly the inverter 'pushes' with battery power, the zappi still thinks it's excess solar so uses your battery to charge.
I found that if I set my Zappi export margin to a value above my max solar export (set to 4kW, my max export is 3.68kW) that stopped the zappi stealing battery power.
The sight problem is that if you schedule the Zappi to charge it will use battery power first.
The only way to stop the Zappi being able to use battery power is to split the tails after the meter with a Henley block then to your normal consumer unit and have the Zappi fed from the Henley block via another small consumer unit. Your inverter's clamp meter can can then be on the cable feeding your normal consumer unit so it can't see the Zappi load.
Alternatively if you need to charge and don't want it to use battery power then you might be able to put the inverter/battery into 'backup mode' or limit minimum state of charge.

Thanks for the informative reply. Quite a lot here to get my head around. I don't think I'm going to be messing with a Henley block any time soon. When you say sitting the zappi export margin to 4kW how do you do this?

Thanks for the informative reply. Quite a lot here to get my head around. I don't think I'm going to be messing with a Henley block any time soon. When you say sitting the zappi export margin to 4KW how do you do this?
Henley blocks are for qualified electricians only!
The 4kW export margin is set on the zappi menu from the front panel. Sorry can't remember the menu options to get to export margin but I'm sure you will be able to find it.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom