Charging EV5

Bernard

Novice Member
Reaction score
Started with i3 rx which could be charged via mobile when connected via granny lead.
Moved to ZS which does not allow me to charge via timer on 13amp socket for off peak electricity, needs plug removed and replaced. No remote charging.
Am changing ZS for EV5 next month and wondering if any one has experience of timed charging via 13 amp socket.
Considered having wall box fitted but mileage done does not warrant it. Am retired so shopping trips and occasional longer trips undertaken, when allowed.
Will miss the warning lights in wing mirror on ZS when other vehicles close.

With low mileage you're likely to be better with a single rate tariff and a lower standing charge. Make sure you do the sums and don't just assume that a lower overnight rate would be cheaper overall. Octopus Go would actually cost me more in total than my current tariff.

The MG5 charging is basically the same as the updated ZS charging. You'll need some kind of smart EVSE or something like an Ohme cable to make use of a time-of-use tariff.

Thank you. What is EVSE? I can check on Ohme cable. Will do sums re. electricity supply.

Thank you for your reply. Understand now about charging. It will be fine when the sun starts shining I can use power from the solar panels we have.

Thank you. What is EVSE? I can check on Ohme cable. Will do sums re. electricity supply.
EVSE = Electric Vehicle Supply Equipment. Sounds like you are well sorted with solar panels!
I just got my EV5 and am very happy. Although I am looking at it more than driving it at the moment of course.

Have now found that the problem I had with charging the ZS has disappered and the MG5 will charge via the granny cable and a timer plugged into a 13 amp socket so that I can charge overnight without any bother. Well pleased with this.

Just be careful with the plug-in timer. Someone in the BMW i3 owners' group posted this photo of a passthrough plug (in this case a 'smart' type controlled remotely by wi-fi, but same idea):

151474552_10159153634880479_2488070446168444758_n.jpg

You can see it's supposed to be rated for 13A, but the sustained 10A load from a car charger turned out to be too much for it.

Every appliance is different and your timer may very well be able to pass 10A all day and night with no issues - but I'd certainly supervise it very carefully for the first few times you use it, rather than plugging it in and going to bed on the assumption it'll be fine because it says it's rated for 13A.

To be clear: I'm not an electrician and the above photo is not mine.

Thanks for the information. Have used it twice for 7 hours off peak. Will certainly keep an eye on it now. The sunshine yesterday topped it up via solar panels with direct connection to 13 amp outlet.

I have my outdoor socket on a WiFi switch via a 30amp contactor. Allowing me to Turn it on or off via phone app and even set up timers for it. Until I get my 7kw charger installed

I have my outdoor socket on a WiFi switch via a 30amp contactor. Allowing me to Turn it on or off via phone app and even set up timers for it. Until I get my 7kw charger installed
Just be aware that when you do that you are causing breakers to switch at full load. Normally a charger will ramp the current draw down before switching off. My old leaf for instance was only rated for about 60 removals at full load.

Just be aware that when you do that you are causing breakers to switch at full load. Normally a charger will ramp the current draw down before switching off. My old leaf for instance was only rated for about 60 removals at full load.
This is only charging from a 13A socket. A 30A contactor should be able to handle that all day long with no issues. It is not a circuit breaker that is switching the load.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom