MG5 original 2021 spec and PodPoint Solo Charger - overnight timed charging

CuriousIslander

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi All

I suspect that this enquiry has already been answered somewhere, but I am blowed if I can find the answer!

I have a 21-plate MG5 SR and a PodPoint Solo home charger. Until very recently I have not had a suitable mobile phone on which to run the PodPoint app, so I have until now just charged during the day, and occasionally overnight to balance charge. I believe that the charger itself is capable of timed charging via the app, and I have just received information from my electricity supplier about their special lower cost overnight tariff. I have not bothered exploring such options before because I have not had a suitable smartphone, but also because I believe that the original spec MG5 does not work with a timed charger. I don't know where I read this , but is it correct? If it is possible to use a timed 4 hour (or so) overnight charge on a cheaper rate that would be worth exploring.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? I would be most grateful.
Many thanks

Hi All

I suspect that this enquiry has already been answered somewhere, but I am blowed if I can find the answer!

I have a 21-plate MG5 SR and a PodPoint Solo home charger. Until very recently I have not had a suitable mobile phone on which to run the PodPoint app, so I have until now just charged during the day, and occasionally overnight to balance charge. I believe that the charger itself is capable of timed charging via the app, and I have just received information from my electricity supplier about their special lower cost overnight tariff. I have not bothered exploring such options before because I have not had a suitable smartphone, but also because I believe that the original spec MG5 does not work with a timed charger. I don't know where I read this , but is it correct? If it is possible to use a timed 4 hour (or so) overnight charge on a cheaper rate that would be worth exploring.

Can anyone shed any light on this please? I would be most grateful.
Many thanks
I think most of us with a gen1 with home charging, charge off-peak. So yes using timed charging with an app.
I generally plug in anywhere between 6pm and going to bed depending on when I remember to do it and it charges from 00:30 until either full and balanced or until 04:30 on Octopus Go.

Same here. PodPoint Solo works fine in timed mode with MG5 Exclusive (Pre FL). PodPoint app has been updated recently to allow you to start an adhoc charge manually in the app without having to remove the schedule. You need to PodPoint app to use public PodPoint chargers as well.

Same here. PodPoint Solo works fine in timed mode with MG5 Exclusive (Pre FL). PodPoint app has been updated recently to allow you to start an adhoc charge manually in the app without having to remove the schedule. You need to PodPoint app to use public PodPoint chargers as well.
Excellent. Thank you, that is just what I needed to know, so will explore the possibiity....
Very much appreciated

Works fine most of the time on my MG5 LR (Pre facelift) and when it doesn't, it's usually the communication between the charger and cloud backend that's the problem or ev energy have the wrong rates for the day.

(This is with an EO Mini Pro 2 using ev energy to charge at the cheaper times on agile)

That looks hopeful.. However.......

I have been investigating and it would appear that my setup is not compatible. My energy supplier is OVO, and they are offering a very good reduced rate, but it appears to work with only a couple of chargers, neither of which are PodPoint. It aso requires my car to be able to connect to the internet, (that's exactly what it says on their website), and I don't think it can. Can anyone confirm this please?

It appears from the responses to my original question (thank you all very much) that some combinations do work. I am sorry to be a pain but I am thoroughly confused by it all. All I want is to know what energy supplier(s) offer reduced rate timed charging, using my PodPoint charger and my car!!

Thank you

That looks hopeful.. However.......

I have been investigating and it would appear that my setup is not compatible. My energy supplier is OVO, and they are offering a very good reduced rate, but it appears to work with only a couple of chargers, neither of which are PodPoint. It aso requires my car to be able to connect to the internet, (that's exactly what it says on their website), and I don't think it can. Can anyone confirm this please?

It appears from the responses to my original question (thank you all very much) that some combinations do work. I am sorry to be a pain but I am thoroughly confused by it all. All I want is to know what energy supplier(s) offer reduced rate timed charging, using my PodPoint charger and my car!!

Thank you
Octopus (Go) plus others.
On Go IOW day rate is 30.6p/kWh
off peak 9.5p
standing charge 47.95p per day.
How does that compare you OVO numbers?

Last edited:
British Gas works out slightly cheaper than Octopus Go for me at the moment. You get 5 hours at cheap rate too.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom