Charging flap frozen closed

Trevor

Established Member
Reaction score
Yesterday I dropped the front grill, obviously taking some snow with it, which froze whilst driving. Arrived at charger unable to open flap, and had to park in the sun for an hour. A word of warning....

I had this happen in my Kia Soul EV on a long motorway journey to Reading (from West Yorkshire) in November 2019. I was driving in 2-4C weather with near freezing rain / sleet. First charge stop after 100 miles and the charge port eject button (the Soul charge port is spring loaded) wasn’t realising the port. I ended up googling if there was a manual release (which there was) but even this took a few goes to get the door to open. At the second stop this seemed to be ok, I’m wondering with the ZS if de-icer would have helped the situation?

In this video Pat talks about using a hair dryer (not practical on a trip unless you have a 12V one on a long flex) but at 1:00 he also shows where the emergency release is which is useful to know.

Try peeing on it next time. That's what we used to do in the 70s and 80s on frozen door locks. ;)
Obviously a little more difficult for the lady drivers. :sneaky:

ooh matron.jpg

Thanks for the useful/hilarious advice. Bit of a pain when you can only get 45 miles on a full charge. I had the new BMS installed hush-hush on 12 Jan, and have done 6 granny charges (8-10 hours) 6 7kW charges for 5-8 hours and currently doing my 3rd 24 hour granny charge desperately trying to sort this out. Garage got 142m after their charge, but I'm only getting average 105m. Waiting for dealer to get back to me, but quickly running out of patience. They did say it could take up to 2 months, which I'd consider qualifies for a battery replacement.

Thanks for the useful/hilarious advice. Bit of a pain when you can only get 45 miles on a full charge. I had the new BMS installed hush-hush on 12 Jan, and have done 6 granny charges (8-10 hours) 6 7kW charges for 5-8 hours and currently doing my 3rd 24 hour granny charge desperately trying to sort this out. Garage got 142m after their charge, but I'm only getting average 105m. Waiting for dealer to get back to me, but quickly running out of patience. They did say it could take up to 2 months, which I'd consider qualifies for a battery replacement.
That’s terrible. Completely unacceptable.

Who is the dealer?

Mind if I give them the rest of today to reply, I prompted them this morning for a reply to my Monday email. They're probably waiting on MG support to be fair, and I do rate their technician, so reluctant to name at this stage.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom