Charging fully.

myfirstev

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all, our MG5 LR only charges to 95% on all chargers, is this normal? As soon as it gets 95% it stops charging and releases the plug.

Hi all, our MG5 LR only charges to 95% on all chargers, is this normal? As soon as it gets 95% it stops charging and releases the plug.
When you say all chargers, is this DC and AC? Also, is it 95% on the charger’s display or the car’s?

Reason I ask is some people report that DC charging can stop in low to mid 90%. Also, my OBD dongle reports 95% when car says 100%, so some chargers might display OBD value? Just theories.

When you say all chargers, is this DC and AC? Also, is it 95% on the charger’s display or the car’s?

Reason I ask is some people report that DC charging can stop in low to mid 90%. Also, my OBD dongle reports 95% when car says 100%, so some chargers might display OBD value? Just theories.
Hi. It's on the car and the charger and on the 50kwh chargers.

Have you tried it on the 'granny'?
If you mean the home charger(3 pin) then it goes to 100%. Although this method is no good for us now as we have moved and can't access the 3 pin socket. Also on long journeys ours seems to be the only car not charging fully. Everyone else's goes to 100%.

Hi. It's on the car and the charger and on the 50kwh chargers.
There are quite a few threads about rapid chargers stopping at 90%+ for some people, but not all. If you need to charge to 100% on a rapid, which most people tend to frown at due to how much it slows after low 80%, then contact dealer to see if the recent software patch for improved compatibility could help.

If you mean the home charger(3 pin) then it goes to 100%. Although this method is no good for us now as we have moved and can't access the 3 pin socket. Also on long journeys ours seems to be the only car not charging fully. Everyone else's goes to 100%.
The MG5 doesn't like going over 90% on a rapid DC CCS.
If it is ok on the 'granny' then it will reach 100% on an AC type 2 EVSE.

Might be that the battery resistance raises too far as it gets near fully charged and the charger says "nope, not giving you any more" Common enough on the MG5 with DC charging but you will not see it on AC.

I often use an extension lead to reach a three pin socket

There are quite a few threads about rapid chargers stopping at 90%+ for some people, but not all. If you need to charge to 100% on a rapid, which most people tend to frown at due to how much it slows after low 80%, then contact dealer to see if the recent software patch for improved compatibility could help.
That software update is only for the new ZS.

Well I have the 5lr and mine charges to 100% I think you need to get it checked at the dealer

Well I have the 5lr and mine charges to 100% I think you need to get it checked at the dealer
I think it would help if we knew what brand and power supply works for you, as it may be the OP needs to visit a different charger?

Mine is pod point and have used them when out ie blackpool

That software update is only for the new ZS.
Nope - my MG5LR is booked in for Monday to get the recent software updates - it was mentioned on this week’s podcast too.

I want this applied as some rapid units won’t work with my car - rather than the facelift ZS issue of being ‘bricked’ at high percentages.

Mine was one of the first MG5LR delivered, early September 2021 - more recently registered cars might already be on different software versions so exhibit different behaviour?

Nope - my MG5LR is booked in for Monday to get the recent software updates - it was mentioned on this week’s podcast too.

I want this applied as some rapid units won’t work with my car - rather than the facelift ZS issue of being ‘bricked’ at high percentages.

Mine was one of the first MG5LR delivered, early September 2021 - more recently registered cars might already be on different software versions so exhibit different behaviour?
Hi How do I know if my car needs a software update?

Hi How do I know if my car needs a software update?
I'm not sure you can - other than dropping it the dealer due to specific compatibility issues with rapid units - or wait until scheduled servicing, where (according to Miles on the Podcast) MG have approved dealers to apply any relevant updates to the numerous ECUs in the cars - which appears to be a policy change from 'if it's not broken, don't fix it' which they had before

Is there anyone with a LR ZS who can help, I charged my car at home last night (just like I did the week before), the battery is showing as 100% but my range even on ECO is only showing as 218 miles? I only got the car last week and the first time I charged it the 100% battery equivalent was showing as the full 272 miles? Can anyone help?

Is there anyone with a LR ZS who can help, I charged my car at home last night (just like I did the week before), the battery is showing as 100% but my range even on ECO is only showing as 218 miles? I only got the car last week and the first time I charged it the 100% battery equivalent was showing as the full 272 miles? Can anyone help?
Range is an estimate - often referred to as GOM -> Guess o'Meter. The value shown is based on recent efficiency combined with which mode you're in and how much power is currently being used. Resetting the trip computer, switching between driving modes and turning off air con, etc should change this value

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

New EVs from MG: MG S9 & MG9 plus hot topics from the forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom