Charging guidance required

Cliff Mitchell

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Normally I charge overnight using my 7kw charger (generally set on 15amps). This allows me to determine what charge is required at 20km per hour of charge. I am now trying to use my solar more effectively. Does anyone know if short charges have any detrimental effect of the health of the batteries. I would like to charge about three hours in the middle of the day, increasing the range per 3 hour charge by about 60 kms. But, if this charging regime is bad for the batteries then I will cease and desist and return to longer overnight charging.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I think the only thing batteries don't like is being fully charged or fully empty and left like that for long periods.
Other than that, charge how you like and and as often as you like.

I'm sure others with more experience will reply, but the main issue seems to be when you don't allow the occasional charging to 100% and then on to the balancing phase via the AC charger

There are a few threads kicking about such as Post your battery SOH data please and Help Please Charging but nothing specifically about short charges vs longer than I can remember - but lots of folks here have solar so must be charging for shorter periods during the day, hopefully someone will comment.

I make use of as much solar power as possible and frequently charge for two to four hours when the sun is shining! My solar generation has a max of 3.8KwH and I find that it averages about 2.0/2.5 KW charging power per hour using Zappi ECO.

Gharging!!!!!, This is a constant source of discussion, do this, don't do that. This is my opinion (not advice, before I get shot down). If you are not going to keep the car long term, ie out of the warranty. Then charge it how you like with ONLY one caveat try and avoid RAPID charging as this is about the ONLY thing that ALL the experts agree is bad for the battery.

This IS advice, if you have not got off road parking and can't fit a home charger I would not buy any an EV as the inconvenience on relying on the public charging system would be too great. Another bit of advice check 100% that you can actually fit a home charger (many older houses have problems with their wiring and shared supplies) without lengthy and very expensive work. Check this before buying an EV.

If you are of the mind to only charge your car to 80% and or wait until it's at about 30-40% before charging then your are going to possibly fall foul of the following:-

a. Get caught out on an unexpected long journey (in an ICE car you can fill up easily) an EV can't as you all know.
b. Battery balancing problems, balancing is best maintained by using your home charger to charge regularly to 100% (not really 100% just a pseudo 100% due the BMS Buffer) so charging every night as I do has meant nil balancing problems.
c. 12v Battery problems, the 12v battery is only charged under two circumstances, when charging the HV battery and when driving the car. Many people have posted problems with their 12v battery, I charge every night with my Home Charger and have NEVER had any 12v battery problems.

So, if keeping the car long term then it is wise to be concerned how one charges your car but NOT to the detriment of enjoying your EV, i.e. having a charging regime that takes the enjoyment away from the car. Just remember this, RAPID charging is the main enemy to battery degradation but even then there are many reports of high mileage EVs with very little degradation, however on the flip side some have reported huge degradation with low mileage. Battery life and care is not yet fully understood. So unless long term let the warranty do your worrying.

Frank

PS Another bit of advice, if sitting around waiting stationary for someone, DON'T play your radio. If you want to do this whilst waiting have the car sat in ready mode so there is no drain on the 12v battery. Unlike an ICE car you are not polluting your surrounding area with exhaust fumes/noise and you could wait for many hours without much detriment to your range as most of the drain on your HV battery is used in moving the car, not running ancillaries.

- c. 12v Battery problems, the 12v battery is only charged under two circumstances, when charging the HV battery and when driving the car. Many people have posted problems with their 12v battery, I charge every night with my Home Charger and have NEVER had any 12v battery problems. -

when charging (not when balancing) the battery in AC mode, 13.1V is supplied to the 12V battery all the time.

You don’t need to drive the car to charge 12v. In ready state it gets charged.

Maybe I never explained that very well, yes, you are in ready mode when driving and you can also be in ready mode when stationary. So I should have said the 12v battery is only charged when charging and when in the ready mode (which could be when stationary and or driving).

Frank

I need some assistance concerning charging programming in order to remote charge my mgev one of the questions is " set (KWh) limit ? I have no idea how to answer this as i have no notion what the limit is , any help would be appreciated.

I am trying to program a charging schedule on my smart charge app one of the questions has me stumped it asks " set (KWh) limit? Does this mean because I have a 7 KWh charging unit I should set the limit to 7 KWh I'm lost any help would be appreciated

I am trying to program a charging schedule on my smart charge app one of the questions has me stumped it asks " set (KWh) limit? Does this mean because I have a 7 KWh charging unit I should set the limit to 7 KWh I'm lost any help would be appreciated
What app are you using? It will probably be asking the amount of charge you want to add. The ZS has a 45kwhr battery. Apps usually allow you to set a charge time. So, a 7kwhr walk box will deliver approx 7kw every hour. If you set for say 4 hours you’ll get about 28kwhr added to your car. The ZS will take just under 7hours from completely empty to full on a 7kwhr charger. Does this help?

Quick rule of thumb, when connected to a 7.0kw wall box you will pick up very roughly, about 25 miles of range for each hour you are on charge.
In ideal conditions, but in winter with a cold battery it will reduce to somewhere between 18-22 miles per hour, depending how cold it is.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom