Charging hit & miss

Malcolm

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
Hi
My MG granny charger started hit & miss charging a couple of months ago then 10 days ago it stopped charging altogether so I phoned Luscombes Leeds & they suggested I tried a public charger.
If I plug in just using the round plug like the granny charger the public charger says it is charging but zero charge shows even after 5 mins. This is the AC charging plug I believe. If I use the combined plug it charges ok. That's the 2 DC pins I believe. So at least we are not grounded!

I used a public charger ok a couple of times last week & the car is booked in at Luscombes Tues so I thought I would give my granny charger another go & would you believe it started charging ok. I left it charging for 3hrs to about 1/2 full & switched off but it won't charge again. Hopefully I'll be able to make it not work at Luscombes.

Two points to ponder. Firstly the normal granny charger connection loudly zips the cable lock & then connects with an audible double click. My cable locks but I don't hear the double click. Secondly the public charger seemed a bit slow at 50kW although there was no display of the actual charge power. Does using the big ccs plug charge AC & DC at the same time?

Any info would be appreciated
Thanks
Malcolm

. Does using the big ccs plug charge AC & DC at the same time?
No. The Type 2 part of the socket contains only the signalling pins on the CCS version. Power is in the two big DC pins.

Any reason why you are using your granny charger so much?

Probably advisable to invest in a home charger if you can for the long term.

No. The Type 2 part of the socket contains only the signalling pins on the CCS version. Power is in the two big DC pins.

Any reason why you are using your granny charger so much?

Probably advisable to invest in a home charger if you can for the long term.
We have solar panels that generate 3kW max & up to 1kW+ even this time of year. Any round only plug public or granny won't work which includes a home charger.

When using the granny charger, make sure the car stops the charge before you switch the 13 amp socket off. Induced spikes from switching off whilst still live could damage the onboard inverter.

We have solar panels that generate 3kW max & up to 1kW+ even this time of year. Any round only plug public or granny won't work which includes a home charger.
If you get a type 2 7kW Zappi EVSE that will charge from solar starting at 1.4kWh which is the lowest the car will start to charge on.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom