Charging Issue with AC Public Charger / Type 2 Cable

tkmaxx5

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Hi all

Got a bit of a funny situation I'm nervously exploring [MG5 SE (facelift)]. I have a home EVSE (wall box) - Ohme Pro charged plenty of times no issues, 7kw slow AC charging works fine (tethered cable). I also tried a local DC Rapid charger (paid, Osprey) - again worked fine, got about 36kwh from the 50kw advertised for a few mins (tethered).

What I am struggling with is untethered 22kw charge posts. Tried two at two different local supermarkets, and charging failed both times. The car displayed a 'connected but not charging' message and no amount of asking the car to charge (via infotainment or iSmart) made it work.
EDIT TO ADD - trying to initiate charge via the app just threw back an error message (either just 'failed' or 'charge failed' - will need to try again to check!)

One of these in particular is a rare free charger (so no app / sign up just plug in and go) and other EV drivers were happily charging while they did their shop.
EDIT TO ADD - I'm sure I have a 22kw 32amp three-phase cable so should be able to charge.

I also got a message "please make sure the power mode is run" on the infotainment screen which I didn't understand and can't find much online about.

By process of elimination I'm hoping this is the car not liking the Type 2 cable I have for some reason, as it has charged fine on home AC unit, so will be trying another cable shortly but wondered if anyone had come across any of this before? Any other things to try?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi, is the type2 cable you are using 32A or 16A and single or three phase?
32a and three phase (it's a bit of a beast!) got it with an upcoming trip to France in mind hoping to take advantage of the 11kw charging on the facelift from 22kw chargers. They have a lot of untethered 22kw chargers in the towns etc so expect to be using quite a lot. Slightly nervous now!!

Last edited:
Hi all

Got a bit of a funny situation I'm nervously exploring [MG5 SE (facelift)]. I have a home EVSE (wall box) - Ohme Pro charged plenty of times no issues, 7kw slow AC charging works fine (tethered cable). I also tried a local DC Rapid charger (paid, Osprey) - again worked fine, got about 36kwh from the 50kw advertised for a few mins (tethered).

What I am struggling with is untethered 22kw charge posts. Tried two at two different local supermarkets, and charging failed both times. The car displayed a 'connected but not charging' message and no amount of asking the car to charge (via infotainment or iSmart) made it work. One of these in particular is a rare free charger (so no app / sign up just plug in and go) and other EV drivers were happily charging while they did their shop.

I also got a message "please make sure the power mode is run" on the infotainment screen which I didn't understand and can't find much online about.

By process of elimination I'm hoping this is the car not liking the Type 2 cable I have for some reason, as it has charged fine on home AC unit, so will be trying another cable shortly but wondered if anyone had come across any of this before? Any other things to try?

Thanks
Daft question but have you started the charge via the app. My local sainsbury has one the rare free ones and I have to start the charge through the podpoint app after connecting the car.

See if you can try a different cable, if it works then you know the one you have is not good for you.

What I am struggling with is untethered 22kw charge posts. Tried two at two different local supermarkets, and charging failed both times. The car displayed a 'connected but not charging' message and no amount of asking the car to charge (via infotainment or iSmart) made it work.
I had this once. Turned out I hadn't pushed the cable into the charger firmly enough. It was enough to connect, but not enough to charge, and got exactly the same message as this. I'm assuming you probably tried reinserting the cable?

Daft question but have you started the charge via the app. My local sainsbury has one the rare free ones and I have to start the charge through the podpoint app after connecting the car.
Not a daft question and happy to try anything! But yes I did try starting via the app and just got the notification it had 'failed' (another point I should probably add to the post, will edit!

See if you can try a different cable, if it works then you know the one you have is not good for you.
Thanks yes - friend with a different cable loaning me theirs this evening will update!

I had this once. Turned out I hadn't pushed the cable into the charger firmly enough. It was enough to connect, but not enough to charge, and got exactly the same message as this. I'm assuming you probably tried reinserting the cable?
I definitely thought I did. I was wondering if there was something in the cable shape or something meaning it didn't connect right. Or maybe just a duff cable (that's my preferred outcome to be honest!)

Not a daft question and happy to try anything! But yes I did try starting via the app and just got the notification it had 'failed' (another point I should probably add to the post, will edit!

Thanks yes - friend with a different cable loaning me theirs this evening will update!

I definitely thought I did. I was wondering if there was something in the cable shape or something meaning it didn't connect right. Or maybe just a duff cable (that's my preferred outcome to be honest!)

That's another thing. The cable has to lock in to the charger before it will work, if you don't push it in all the way the locking pin might be blocked. The square holes in the plug are where the locking pin goes.

Extra to this, after a successful charge, don't be too quick to pull the cable out, wait for the charger to tell you to remove it so the lock releases.

UPDATE!

Returned to Aldi this evening with a pal and their EV and spare wire. After a bit of swapping wires and charge posts it turned out there was a dodgy charging post and the MG started charging using the cable I had the other day. So seems just one of those things!!

Happily charged at about 10kw which is what I'd expect

Going to try a few other 22kw chargers in next few weeks just double check but think it's sorted.

Thanks all for your replies!

UPDATE!

Returned to Aldi this evening with a pal and their EV and spare wire. After a bit of swapping wires and charge posts it turned out there was a dodgy charging post and the MG started charging using the cable I had the other day. So seems just one of those things!!

Happily charged at about 10kw which is what I'd expect

Going to try a few other 22kw chargers in next few weeks just double check but think it's sorted.

Thanks all for your replies!
Trial and error. Glad you got it sorted :)

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom