Charging issues.

dragon2611

Established Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Was away from home last week had a few issues when charging, and now I'm not sure if it's the car or the chargers at fault

1) BP Pulse AC charger, failed to charge and caused system fault which required me to pull the 12V battery to reset - Although sounded like the locking pin was engaging/disengaging so it's possible that was a bad connection. Saw a tesla charging on that post when I went back to the car later (I'd managed to move it out of the way after the 12v reset)

2) Osprey 50KW charger stopped charging after about 7 Mins with "Car ended the session" the battery disconnected light also briefly flashed up on the dash, I did have to reset these chargers Estop before being able to use it initially.

3) My home charger tripped the RCD after about 10KW the other day (Different cable to the bp pulse as I keep one in the car for public charging and one at home).

I've had successful charging sessions in between 1 and 2 so no idea if it's just coincidence, or I have an intermittent fault, Home charger behaved itself after resetting the RCD as well.

Was away from home last week had a few issues when charging, and now I'm not sure if it's the car or the chargers at fault

1) BP Pulse AC charger, failed to charge and caused system fault which required me to pull the 12V battery to reset - Although sounded like the locking pin was engaging/disengaging so it's possible that was a bad connection. Saw a tesla charging on that post when I went back to the car later (I'd managed to move it out of the way after the 12v reset)

2) Osprey 50KW charger stopped charging after about 7 Mins with "Car ended the session" the battery disconnected light also briefly flashed up on the dash, I did have to reset these chargers Estop before being able to use it initially.

3) My home charger tripped the RCD after about 10KW the other day (Different cable to the bp pulse as I keep one in the car for public charging and one at home).

I've had successful charging sessions in between 1 and 2 so no idea if it's just coincidence, or I have an intermittent fault, Home charger behaved itself after resetting the RCD as well.
I installed my 32A 7kW AliExpress charger through a proper 32A Isolator/Socket to a spare MCB connection in my garage Consumer Unit, I had 2 MCBs fitted to overcome a problem whilst switching on my TIG welder, so thought that might be better than the RCDs vacant, I've not had any problems until I tried using my Milling machine whilst charging the car, turns out the house supply to the garage/workshop only had a 32A MCB in the Consumer Unit, my landlord got his electrician to upgrade it to 50A, no more problems.

I had a hard time trying to unplug the car yesterday when going out, I couldn't get it to release the cable from the car end despite multiple lock/unlock attempts.

I was able to disconnect the charger end, but the car was being rather stubborn about releasing the cable

I'm beginning to wonder if what is presumably the solenoid that actuates the cable locking pin is going bad.

Worked fine today when I wasn't needing to go somewhere which is typical of these things, do wonder if it's going to need to go into the garage and have the charge port looked at.

I had a hard time trying to unplug the car yesterday when going out, I couldn't get it to release the cable from the car end despite multiple lock/unlock attempts.
Might want to familiarise yourself with the manual release procedure and add a little extension (post #9 in link below) to the manual release cable if yours is pre-FL:

Och I do love driving the five.
I had around half a battery of power yesterday at lunch time and needed a coffee. At the same time I noticed a straight line of yellow splodges across the Tyndrum forecast for today with a promising 19 in the temperature line.
So I thought I’d drain off the battery, fill up on this month’s free coffee at Dobbies and fill and balance the battery overnight.
The plan was going well, I circumnavigated Auld Reekie on the A720 bypass and enjoyed the drink and a treacle scone which mysteriously appeared on my tray.
I then stop started halfway home in the heavy traffic all those poor working people have to endure. Then from about the airport I roasted homeward only to find I was nowhere near the bottom of the range gauge.
I scorned the turn off and carried on to Stirling. When I subsequently came to the turn off to Grangemouth on the final leg home Waze said 4 miles to go and GOM reported there were 5 miles worth remaining and the last bit of that’s uphill 🥴 - time to squeak?
No probs, I drew in and plugged the Rolec in and went in to prep the teriyaki haddock and salad for dinner.
Rolec promised a full tank by 09:00 so I’m assuming that’s what I now have.
I’ll report back from Tyndrum.
IMG_0757.png

Och I do love driving the five.
I had around half a battery of power yesterday at lunch time and needed a coffee. At the same time I noticed a straight line of yellow splodges across the Tyndrum forecast for today with a promising 19 in the temperature line.
So I thought I’d drain off the battery, fill up on this month’s free coffee at Dobbies and fill and balance the battery overnight.
The plan was going well, I circumnavigated Auld Reekie on the A720 bypass and enjoyed the drink and a treacle scone which mysteriously appeared on my tray.
I then stop started halfway home in the heavy traffic all those poor working people have to endure. Then from about the airport I roasted homeward only to find I was nowhere near the bottom of the range gauge.
I scorned the turn off and carried on to Stirling. When I subsequently came to the turn off to Grangemouth on the final leg home Waze said 4 miles to go and GOM reported there were 5 miles worth remaining and the last bit of that’s uphill 🥴 - time to squeak?
No probs, I drew in and plugged the Rolec in and went in to prep the teriyaki haddock and salad for dinner.
Rolec promised a full tank by 09:00 so I’m assuming that’s what I now have.
I’ll report back from Tyndrum.
IMG_0757.png

Just arrived in Tyndrum after a beautiful drive. It’s 19 deg C and blue sky with one or two wee clouds.
The drive so far :-

Left Bo’ness -
Odometer 25416
GOM - 245

Journey 68 according to Waze

Arr Tyndrum
Odometer - 25484
GOM - 183

The times were irrelevant to me as I’m in no rush.
The traffic’s been horrendous- at one point I followed two camper vans nose to tail - but not for long 😜🤣
IMG_0759.jpeg

I might return today - or I might stay over here. I have the emergency rucksack in the boot 🤩

Hi all .. Okay I had my share of charging challenges, one charger works, the other does not , it works at home. not a work .. (Rage).
So got a coffee and read the manual end to end. and discovered this gem.

To charge the car,
1. close all doors (you need to get out of the car),
2. if you have charger without a cable, plug in the cable in the charger, if you have a charger with cable skip this step
3. Plug the cable in the charge port of the car.
4.. ..here is the gem .. lock the car.... and the charging session will start.

If you unlock the car the charging will stop and will not resume till after one minute.

So far the charger at work is working for me know thanks to the rigmarole .. I'm going to test other chargers in the area if that process fixes.. the other experiences

One point to note. the 12 volt batter is sucked dry if you experiment too long, with main lights on, interior lights and media centre.. on. ( i had to reboot my car , remove the 12 volt connector)

Last edited by a moderator:
4.. ..here is the gem .. lock the car.... and the charging session will start.

One point to note. the 12 volt batter is sucked dry if you experiment to long, with main lights on, interior lights and media center.. on. ( i had to reboot my car , remove the 12 volt connector)
Yes, that’s been well documented on this forum, if all else fails, lock it.

Not sure how rebooting the car by removing the 12V can cure a flat Aux, just turn on the car and observe the 12V setting on the dash, should be around 14v when Ready or charging..

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom