Charging keeps stopping for no apparent reason (unless you know better)

ZS Pete

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG ZS EV
I am new to MG, just got my ZS Trophy Long Range a couple of weeks ago. When I plug into my home 7.5kW charger the vehicle takes a decent charge for a short time and when I go back to look at the app the charge has stopped and I have to manually restart again. This happens a few times during a charge, there are no limits set and as far as I can see it should run to 100% without a break. I have only used 50kW charge point once and that had no similar issue. Any help from experienced owners would be happily received.

It is set to 80% at the moment but has stopped at 55, 61 & 70 so far. I tried setting to100% last time I charged with much the same result.

If it's not the car stopping the charge then it's the charger. What charger do you have and perhaps it's a setting on there? Another potential problem that people have experienced is powerline adaptors in their house affecting the charger.

Some smart chargers will pause the charge if demand on the local network is high

My charger will not let me charge between 8am & 11am and again between 4pm & 10pm due to "EV Smart Regulations". Maybe yours has something similar?

Speak to an electrician, but mine originally was connected to the ordinary mains and I had a similar problem. I heard about a separate earthing rod, so I had one installed and all was fine. That was 3 years ago.

This may be what I’ve had. Try it on a supermarket 7.5kw charger. If that doesn’t work it’s the car at fault. Had to have the chargeport replaced on mine. Fortunately it was only a few days wait for the part. (Mine was ok on fast charger too.. just very unreliable at home and eventually refused to charge on any slow charger. Drove me nuts)

Speak to an electrician, but mine originally was connected to the ordinary mains and I had a similar problem. I heard about a separate earthing rod, so I had one installed and all was fine. That was 3 years ago.
Modern trupen chargers do not need earth rods. If the charger was fitted this year it should be an intelligent one and you should check your charger app. If you are on octapus the tariff and charging times are run by them.

I think I had something similar when I started with ev'si contacted the charger installer and they did something to the charger software remotely

I have had a similar issue on my New ZS EV, the Zappi says paused, when I got to the app it says "Not Charging" when I press the "Start Charging" Button on the app and enter my pass code it starts to charge immediately.

Is your home charger a Hypervolt? If so it has a random start switch which is used to protect pressure on the grid and it can be turned off
No I have a Zappi

And 2 points,

1. I am just using it to charge when I have surplus solar power, so cant be grid related.
2. It starts to charge as soon as you press the "start charging" button on the app.

Thanks for all of the input on this one, I think I may have worked it out. I tried various thinks but with everything hanged back I ran a full charge without looking and all was fine. Next charge, every time I check the progress on the app it stops taking charge until I restart. Easy fix, I just won't use the app while charging.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom