Charging MG5 EV with 3-pin charger only over pavement, my experienced in a terraced property in London

Andytizer

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
I hope it is okay for me to post a video I made about my experiences charging using the granny-lead only on my MG5. This forum has been immensely helpful in suggesting new products to use to make charging safer for owners as well as pedestrians when running charge cables over the pavement.

Hi, I like this video and great to see you using an RCD block. I did notice it was a multi EU type and these do not have a fuse in the plug top. How did it cope with the heat as I find these don't have very good pin springs?

I did notice it was a multi EU type and these do not have a fuse in the plug top. How did it cope with the heat as I find these don't have very good pin springs?
Thanks! I'm not sure what you mean, are you saying the RCD is a multi-EU type that has no fuse? It doesn't look like it has a replaceable fuse however I assume that there is something that has a 'fuse' in the main plastic part with the buttons? Should I get one with a fuse built into the plug? I choase the 'Oaonan' one because it was easier to fit into the outdoor plug I have.

Heat seems to be fine, I'm not sure how to measure this.

Ideally a fuse in the plug is best. I have seen a few non UK units not having plug fuses.
The heat thing again was just to keep an eye on as multi sockets can feel a bit loose and if they don't make good contact can get too warm and scorch.
The extension lead is the same as I was looking to get😁

Attachments

• 16243574816942587289051064556623.jpg
    16243574816942587289051064556623.jpg
    290.9 KB · Views: 174
I have the same Masterplug 15m cable and it works well although granny charger plug is a bit tight. Do make sure that the cable is always completely unwound when in use for charging as it could get hot and burn out.
I think the RCD should be at the house socket end of the cable so if it is tripped the whole set up is dead otherwise you still have a live cable on the pavement.

I hope it is okay for me to post a video I made about my experiences charging using the granny-lead only on my MG5. This forum has been immensely helpful in suggesting new products to use to make charging safer for owners as well as pedestrians when running charge cables over the pavement.

Good video, it makes me appreciate my driveway even more. After about 2k miles and a few months ownership I think I've not used a public charger yet except the free pod point at tesco's. I will next week though with a trip to the lakes using a geniepoint :-/

Glad to see you're enjoying the car. I have a wallbox pulsar plus and had to have it replaced due to a fault, apart from that my EV experience has been positive and the car itself great.

The masterplug extension lead seems to be out of stock wherever I looked, although I managed to get a similar extension lead from Morrisons - 15m orange cable, rated 13 amps with an IP54 rated plug.

However this one fits nicely around the thick lead of the granny charger cable from the ZS EV without having to modify it in any way (not sure if the ZS cable is thinner than the 5's)

It's not shown on their website but it was down the electrical aisle by the light bulbs, etc. Plus it was only £15

The masterplug extension lead seems to be out of stock wherever I looked, although I managed to get a similar extension lead from Morrisons - 15m orange cable, rated 13 amps with an IP54 rated plug.

However this one fits nicely around the thick lead of the granny charger cable from the ZS EV without having to modify it in any way (not sure if the ZS cable is thinner than the 5's)

It's not shown on their website but it was down the electrical aisle by the light bulbs, etc. Plus it was only £15
Can you take a picture of the package etc. Thanks

I got rid of the packaging which was just a papery/plasticy wrap saying "Morrisons ..... blah blah blah .... extension lead", standard Morrisons own brand with black text on white/grey background.

Here are some photos of the cable itself, only main difference I could see with the Masterplug one is the colour of the plastic clip to close the cover on this one is orange as opposed to green.

This fits the ZS EV cable fine, like I said though I haven't tried it with the cable from the 5 as my collection of MG cars is currently limited to one model.

Attachments

• 20210625_151157.jpg
    20210625_151157.jpg
    637.5 KB · Views: 149
  • 20210625_151228_HDR.jpg
    20210625_151228_HDR.jpg
    496.8 KB · Views: 178
  • 20210625_151252_HDR.jpg
    20210625_151252_HDR.jpg
    487 KB · Views: 152
Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video