Charging MG5

steveciavucco

Standard Member
Reaction score
Driving
MG5
Still having problems with my home BP Pulse charger (didn't have a choice as it was Motability).
Just to double check when connecting
1 Car should be completely switched off but unlocked
2 Plug in charger firmly
3 Wait for green light on charger and "connecting sound"
4 Lock car

Is that right?
Steve Ciavucco

Hi Jomarkh
Thanks for your reply.
I've had issues since its installation as it completely charged up last Sunday but more often than not the charger doesn't charge the mg. I know its not the car because I've used Tesco, the garage that it came from and a couple of public chargers. The fault definitely is with the charger but I just wanted confirmation that I wasn't doing something wrong!!

Have you checked the app to make sure any charge locks or smart charging is switched off?

Yes, I've made sure that the app has no scheduled charging times at all and no restrictions of time etc.
I just think that BP pulse are rubbish!!

Do you not need to switch the charger on using the app.

If I plugged to my wallbox home charger I would need to tell the charger to start charging. I realise each manufacturer is different but most electrical things need to be told to do anything. Simply being plugged in is often not enough.

On previous occasions I have tried cancelling all scheduled times and actually setting some specific times for charging - nothing seems to resolve the issue - it worked perfectly last Sunday to 100% and yet failed last night and this morning - I did exactly the same thing!

Hi Steve
Sounds like you are trying all the right things with the bp app.
One other test would be plug in, then lock the car, then go inside and see if your smart metre has lit up like it's Christmas 🎄.
The car may not start charging AC until the car is locked.
Hope this helps.

On AC I always have to lock the car to start the charge after it's started I can unlock and relock without the charge stopping if I need to get in the car for anything.

Support us by becoming a Premium Member

Latest MG EVs video

MG3 Hybrid+ & Cyberster Configurator News + hot topics from the MG EVs forums
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom